Monday, January 16, 2017

Hollyburn skirt in black corduroy

Another Monday, another make! Again a pattern I got in the Black Friday sale but this time from Sewaholic patterns. I've come upon the Hollyburn skirt on a lot of blags last year and all seamstresses seemed to be avid. I got more and more hooked and decided that I wanted to make a winter skirt from a warm fabric. I got this fine corduroy before my fabric diet and actually planned to make some pants from it. I still have enough left for pants, so those will come in future...

Und ein weiterer Montag mit einer neuen Kreation! Auch dieses Schnittmuster ist ein Black Firday Sale Kauf, allerdings von Sewaholic patterns - der Hollyburn Rock! Ich habe ihn letztes Jahr auf vielen Blogs bewundert zum Beispiel bei Wiebke von Kreuzberger Nähte, Constanze von Santa Lucia Patterns und Katharina von Fröbelina. Bei Katharina habe ich auch gesehen, dass steife Stoffe gut funktionieren. Also habe ich beschlossen einen Winterrock aus Cord zu nähen, den ich von dem Stoffkaufverbot eiegntlich für Hosen gekauft hatte. Macht nichts, dafür ist noch genug Stoff über!

 photo IMG_0822 klein_zpso9dfgng2.jpg

 photo IMG_0819 klein_zpsxeaf8vkj.jpg

I eliminated the front seam which makes the front not as stiff as the back. In the side view, you can see that it sticks out a bit.

Ich habe das Vorderteil im Stoffbruch zugeschnittet, damit die Vordernaht den Rock nicht zu steif macht. In der Seitenansicht kann man erkennen, dass die hintere Mittelnaht einen kleinen Bürzel zaubert.

 photo IMG_0823 klein_zpsf9mhsijk.jpg

The zipper is a lapped zipper in the centre back. I added a skull button I got from Paisleystern. Last one I had, now I will think of her whenever I wear the skirt!

Der Reißverschluß ist ein überdeckter normaler Reißverschluß in der hinteren Mitte. Der Totenkopfknopf ist von Paisleystern. Wenn ich den Knopf sehe, muss ich jetzt immer an sie denken!

 photo IMG_0821 klein_zpsfpk6kucb.jpg

I love the pockets! They are roomy and comfortable. I added a decorative stitch around the pockets which is not really visible. Black on black is rather invisble, right?

Besonders schön finde ich ja Taschen am Rock! Hier habe ich einen Zierstich eingesetzt. In schwarz auf schwarz ist er nicht übermässig sichtbar, aber immerhin ein nettes Detail!

 photo IMG_0824 klein_zpsrw9jv3dv.jpg

The hem was made with satin bias tape as the fabric is to stiff for a nice hem.

Der Saum ist mit Satinschrägband genäht, weil der Cord zu steif für einen schönen Saum ist.

Sewing pattern review
The pattern went together smoothly. I made a 16 right from the pattern and changed nothing except the zipper placement and placing the center front on fold while cutting. I liked the length and cut nothing off (used view B). I might try a curved wiastband next time, although it wasn't necessary here as the corduroy is stretchy. Really a great sew!

6 comments:

Onychophora said...

Ich mag ihn :D
Für meinen zweiten hab ich auch schon Stoff hier liegen. Ich find es ist ein relativ simples Schnittmuster, das doch was her macht.

Jade said...

The skirt is very pretty! And the pockets are very handy. :) Yesterday, I actually bought some books about how to start sewing. *^_^* I'm finally learning to make some lovely clothes and I have to say that the biggest inspiration for this came from you and your blog!

Frau von Nachtschatten said...

Ich mag Cordröcke sehr gern, toller Schnitt und schöne Details. ♥

MindLess said...

@ Onychophora: Hollyburn ist einfach ein schönes Schnittmuster und sehr einfach zu nähen!

@ Jade: Oh my, you are really flattering me! I really hope that I did not rasie expectations I cannot fulfill... But I keep my fingers crossed taht sewing will enrich your life. And if you have any questions, just ask! ^^

@ Frau von Nachtschatten: Dankeschön! Es macht wirklich Spaß, Hollyburn zu nähen...

Jade said...

@MindLess: Don't worry, I am well aware that since the last time I last touched a sewing machine was a decade ago (in school), I have a lot to learn. :D And the first things I make will probably look quite scruffy. What I would really like to learn to do are those beautiful waterfall shirts (or something similar) that you've made so often. ^^

MindLess said...

@ You can do it! I believe in you! And the shirts are really easy to sew once you have the pattern.