Monday, March 28, 2016

Victorian mourning day outfit - Skirt

When I showed you the cape, I didn't tell you about the rest of the outfit I was planning for it. When I visited Vienna in 2013, I fell in love with the city. And I insisted that one day I would return with approriate historical clothes. Fast forward two and a half years and I made this true! And even infected wome fellow friends with the flouncing through Vienna virus! Without them, it would not have been possible - thank you girls!

So, today I will start with the basics of the outfit:

 photo IMG_0046_zpsuf3fsbj3.jpg

 photo IMG_0048_zps7dcvfqdv.jpg

I used the pattern 1870s Underskirt from Truly Victorian as a base. Initially, I wanted to do pleats around the hem, but my pleating foot was not cooperative and after starting to pleat 12m of fabric for the first layer, I was annoyed enough to give up. Bummer!

I have since found a tutorial for a selfmade pleating board, which I will make in future. But this skirt will have to live with ruffles. 

9 comments:

Avadawhra said...

Wow, so schön ♥

Laura M said...

Gorgeous! And a group of people swanning through Vienna in historical clothing sounds so good!

Bane said...

So pretty! Pleats take an inordinate amount of patience. The ruffles look very nice.

Neisella Nightshade said...

Schööööön! So einen will ich auch noch haben.

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

I think the ruffles look great!

MindLess said...

@ Avadawhra: Danke!

@ Laura M: It was so much fun! And I even visited a funhouse at the fair, so the historical clothes don't hinder you to do what you like!

@ Bane: Which I don't have. Maybe with the pleating board?

@ Neisi: So einen hattest du mal und jetzt ist er mein! Der von deinem lila Outfit was du mir vermacht hast...

@ Vulcan Butterfly: Thanks so much!

Neisella Nightshade said...

Hahaha! Gefällt mir bei dir deutlich besser :)

Ramona said...

Wobei ein grüppchen, das in solch toller klamotte durch ne stadt zieht ja fast nach nem video schreit ^^ mich würden da echt die reaktionen interessieren!

MindLess said...

@ Neisel: Ach Quatsch, so nen Basicrock braucht jeder. Du kannst dir ja jederzeit einen nähen!

@ Ramona: Ich habe die anderen nicht gefragt ob sie mit der Veröffentlichung einverstanden sind, also gibt es hier nur Bilder von mir. Aber ein Video wäre echt lustig gewesen!