Friday, November 20, 2015

Waterfall shirt - no really, simple shirt.

When I talked about the pretty fabric and the waterfall shirt I originally planned, I didn't tell you I made a major mistake. I cut the front piece not on the fold but in two pieces. I know, that is way stupid. The middle seam would look stupid and also keep the fabric from forming a pretty waterfall. For a minute or two I was furious with myself. But since the fabric was cut already, There was no chance to stick with my original plan. Instead, I improvised... (maybe I should rename this blog into "... and then I improvised"?)

 photo IMG_7182_zpswgcuqunu.jpg

 photo IMG_7183_zpsrnivhiht.jpg

As you can see, I was not able to cut everything from the tie dye fabric, but I think the black jersey doesn't look half bad. What do you say?

I added a black neckband (again fake bias) and finished the sleeves with tie dye fabrics, to repeat the fabrics on different positions in the garment:

 photo IMG_7185_zpsqnmvbjyx.jpg

 photo IMG_7184_zpszica3mil.jpg

Although I didn't make my original waterfall shirt, I still ended up with a wearable pretty shirt. And I will make the waterfall shirt from another fabric, probably black. Nothing like readjusting the crown and walking on after a little slip and fall!

4 comments:

Jade said...

That is a really pretty shirt! And I have to say that even though I like your blogs name, "-- and then I improvised" is a catchy and funny name too. :D

Laura Morrigan said...

Ah, well, a mistake where you can still make something out of it is not that bad at all! No one would ever know to see the shirt that it started out as something else!

MindLess said...

@ Jade: I really consider the change, but I'm actually not sure if I can make the change myself...

@ Laura Morrigan: The problem is that I know and like the shirt a bit less because of that. But I still wear it, so it is not that bad!

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

I think it looks good with the black sleeves! The one or two times a year I attempt to sew something I ALWAYS f*** something up. To me, improvisation is what sewing is all about lol!