Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Dark Hippy - Natural deodorant

Recently, Tea from Coffeexandxtea posted how she eliminated all cosmetics from her stash which contain harmful chemicals. While I still use conventional cosmetics and have not checked their contents, there is some parts of hygiene where I did make a change in the more granola direction. Today I would like to talk about deodorant.

I know, a totally TMI topic. Body odour is something that everyone (should) want(s) to avoid. At least I do! For a long time, I simply bought Rexona because I liked the smells and it made me less sweaty. But during the last year I read more and more studies that the aluminium in the deo might lead to cancer and Alzheimer. Why is the Aluminium in the deo?

Deodorants combined with antiperspirant agents are classified as drugs by the FDA.[1] Antiperspirants attempt to stop or significantly reduce perspiration and thus reduce the moist climate in which bacteria thrive. Aluminium chloride, aluminium chlorohydrate, and aluminium-zirconium compounds, most notably aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly and aluminium zirconium trichlorohydrex gly, are frequently used in antiperspirants. Aluminium chlorohydrate and aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrate gly are the most frequent active ingredients in commercial antiperspirants.[12] Aluminium-based complexes react with the electrolytes in the sweat to form a gel plug in the duct of the sweat gland. The plugs prevent the gland from excreting liquid and are removed over time by the natural sloughing of the skin. The metal salts work in another way to prevent sweat from reaching the surface of the skin: the aluminium salts interact with the keratin fibrils in the sweat ducts and form a physical plug that prevents sweat from reaching the skin’s surface. Aluminium salts also have a slight astringent effect on the pores; causing them to contract, further preventing sweat from reaching the surface of the skin.[13] The blockage of a large number of sweat glands reduces the amount of sweat produced in the underarms, though this may vary from person to person. - wikipedia

So, long story short: Aluminium chloride makes you sweat less. I thought a little about whether sweating less is worth the risk of cancer and Alzheimer and ended up researching other options. I found a German company which makes all natural deo which was recommended to me from several websites and friends - Wolkenseifen!

 photo IMG_7066_zps4tupenws.jpg

As you can see here, I already got a second option with a slightly different smell. Both smells are rather neutral and a little sweet, the blue one -Perfect Day- reminds me of Nivea... The deodorant is a white paste:

 photo IMG_7067_zps6egnjocu.jpg

While the paste is white and leaves your skin a little white, I have never encountered any marks on my clothes. Especially not on black ones! For the usage I take a little dip with my finger like this:

 photo IMG_7088_zpst27knm4g.jpg

 photo IMG_7089_zpsy8hxdygh.jpg

And then I simply spread it on my armpit. Repeat on the other side and I'm done for the day! As I said, the natural deo does not prevent sweating, but I never had a day where I thought I needed a refreshment. Even when doing sports and sweating a lot, I smell like freshly washed clothes! So I can highly recommend the natural deo, especially when you are from Europe. I have no idea if you can import this stuff to the States...

16 comments:

Avadawhra said...

ohh cool ich hab einen davon auch die riechen soo gut nur wirken tut es bei mir weniger leider aber zusammen mit natron zusätzlich geht es ;))

Ms Misantropia said...

I sweat too much not to use an antiperspirant, but there is a mineral rock called 'Alun' in Swedish that works for that.

MindLess said...

@ Avadawhra: Oh wirklich? Das Natron tötet dann zusätzlich Bakterein ab oder wie? Bislang hatte ich so noch nie Probleme. Zumindest hat mich noch niemand darauf angesprochen, vielleicht merke ich es selber ja nur nicht?!

@ Ms Misantropia: Alun is also something I researched, but it consists of the same substances that I don't want in my deo any longer - Aluminium salts!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Jade said...

That product seems really great! A hippie friend of mine used (and might still use) cocnut butter as a deodorant. A really small amount is applied on the armpits and the butter will form a sort of a blocking layer and the bacteria that causes smell cannot reach the skin. Worked just fine for my friend, I have not tried. :D

Lorkyn said...

Wolkenseifen Deocremes finde ich auch total toll, damit habe ich auch angefangen, als ich auf Alu-frei umgestiegen bin. Im Moment teste ich die Deo-Creme von Alverde (kommt an Wolkenseifen nicht ran) oder ich mische mir die Cremes selber zusammen, das klappt auch gut. Aber die Cremes von Wolkenseifen duften einfach am schönsten :)

Paisleystern said...

Ich benutze auch nurnoch die Wolkenseifen-Deocremes und habe zwei interessante Erfahrungen gemacht: ich schwitze generell weniger als vorher und ich rieche auch weniger intensiv. Die Umstellungsphase hat etwa zwei Wochen gedauert.

Meine Liebe, ich vermisse dich. <3

MindLess said...

@ Jade: Oh, coconut butter might also be a good idea! Unfortunately my skin is not so keen on coconut, it makes me itchy when used in high doses... And I actually prefer a little perfume, it makes me feel more secure. Ahem.

@ Lorky: Alverde ist natürlich viel besser erreichbar, aber wenn du sagst das Wolkenseifen besser ist, bleibe ich jetzt einfach dabei! ^^ Wie mischt du denn selber? Hast du ein gutes Rezept für mich?

@ Paisleystern: Ich hatte auch den EIndruck weniger zu schwitzen. Aber das mag täuschen und beim Sport glühe ich immer noch eimerweise! ;) Du fehlst mir auch, hier ist es manchmal ganz schön einsam. *seufz*

Avadawhra said...

Ja Natron verhindert die Geruchsbildung, das ganz simple Kaiser natron aus dem Dm tut es, ich benutze seit drei jahren ohnehin nur noch Natron in Wasser gelöst und dass es schön riecht ein paar Tropfen ätherische Öle das funktioniert wunderbar. In meinem Freundeskreis hab ich schon ein paarmal dieses Rezept weitergegeben und alle waren begeistert Aluminium Ade ;)) Auf Smartikular gibt es Anleitungen dazu bzw 50ml heisses wasser , darin ein teel . natron gelöst wenn das ganze abgekühlt ist äth. Öle nach Wunsch hinzu ich nehm meist so 20 Tropfen wenn die das ganze zu flüssig ist solange das natronwasser heiss ist speisestärke rein dann kannst es in einen deoroller füllen und feeeertig ;))

MindLess said...

@ Avadawhra: Danke! Ich werde es bei Gelegenheit ausprobieren. Reizen die ätherischen Öle nicht die Haut? Oder ist die Konzentration gering genug?

Lorkyn said...

Aaalso, anfangs habe ich immer die Alverde Körperbutter genommen und da einfach zwei Teelöffel Natron und einen Teelöffel Zinkoxid (geht angeblich aus Maisstärke, wenn man kein Zinkoxid will) reingemischt. Also nicht in die ganze Bütte, sondern auch alles in einem etwas kleineren Döschen. Das blöde dabei ist eben nur, dass das ganze dann etwas sandig ist. Jetzt bin ich dazu übergegangen, Kokosöl zu erhitzen und Natron und Zink dann darin aufzulösen, hinterher gebe ich noch ein paar Tropfen ätherisches Öl mit rein, abfüllen und abkühlen lassen und fertig! Mit dem Zeugs bin ich sehr zufrieden bis jetzt, mann muss es nur eben im Sommer kühl lagern :)

Bane said...

I stopped using antiperspirant, and for about a month afterward, I felt like I was sweating profusely. My pores were celebrating their freedom, perhaps. ;) Then my body seemed to adapt and sweat levels went back down to normal.

Now I use Weleda spray deodorant. It's probably not as powerful as a cream, but it's easy (and feels cooling) to spritz more on if I get really overheated.

Avadawhra said...

Also bei mir ging bisher alles gut, man muss sich da ein wenig probieren mit der Dosierung ;)

Jade said...

@MindLess: I can totally understand that. :D I like a little scent too in my deodorant and to be frank, coconut is one of the fruits I dislike very much. The consistency, the taste, the smell. So, I am not going to apply it on myself! :'D

MindLess said...

@ Lorkyn: Oh, danke! Jetzt habe ich 2 Rezepte zum ausprobieren... Zinkoxid macht keine Flecken auf der Kleidung? Das ist ja schon ziemlich weiß.

@ Bane: I honestly have no idea if I sweated more when I switched. That was in Winter and I don't sweat much then. Unless I do sports which made me sweat whichever deo I wore. The Weleda one is pretty expensive but I might try it as you seem to be satisfied with the performance.

@ Avadawhra: Ich probiere es auf jeden Fall aus, danke!

@ Jade: The smell of coconuts is also not my favourite. Maybe it goes hand in hand with not liking the taste?

Lorkyn said...

Nein, Flecken habe ich bisher keine gefunden :) Aber ich meine, in den Cremes von Wolkenseifen ist auch Zinkoxid :)

MindLess said...

@ Lorkyn: Stimmt, jetzt wo du es sagst... ^^