Monday, July 27, 2015

Feather collar + tutorial

Feathers seem to be all the rage during WGT and other festivals I visited. I thought I might like one the collars as well, but I was too cheap to buy one. The one I made was seriously inspired by DeadDoll's Needfull Things, so if you are to lazy (or richer than me ;) ) go ahead and buy it there!

A while ago I bought some feathers sewn on a band from ebay. I get most of my feathers this way (either from China or Australia, whoever is cheaper for the colour I'm interested in) as the cost less than half of the price I pay in a store here. For the ones I used here I paid 6 Euros per meter!

 photo IMG_7030_zpsmigsvbcx.jpg
I look less sexy than the model in the store, but I tried my best...
 photo IMG_7036_zpsdvboiqua.jpg
Yes, this was the best picture of the closure. ANnd yes, I sneezed after taking this pic. ;)
If you want to make such a feather collar, you need about 60cm of feathers on a band, a wide (4cm) satin ribbon and either a sewing machine or a needle, string and a thimble. The thimble is necessary, as the feathers are glued into the band and sewing is sticky and hard! My sewing machine had no problems with an 80 needle.

Just cut a ribbon that is long enough to tie around the neck (with a nice bow). Cut the feather band wide enough to wrap around your neck plus 1cm on each side. I folded the ends under and sewed one band each to the top and bottom of the ribbon. That's it!

 photo IMG_7037_zpsncwns8s3.jpg

A lot of oomph for rather little work, right?

 photo IMG_7032_zpsokd0xq8g.jpg

16 comments:

The Professor said...

hehehehe ... does it tickle your nose all the time? I always wondered how people wore them, especially dancing. :)

coffeexandxtea said...

Wow, das sieht cool aus! Die Farbwahl ist einfach nur Klasse ^^ Wie immer ein tolles Tutorial, auch wenn der Kragen echt Aufwand macht... Die Bilder sind alle super geworden - die Federn kitzeln scheinbar ganz schön *grins*
Tea

Avadawhra said...

sehr, sehr hübsch ♥♥♥

Jade said...

Such great expression you have in your photos, cute and adorable! ^_^ I have to confess, before I checked her webpage, I kind of expected that the DeadDoll's product was going to cost like twice what it actually costs. >_>

MindLess said...

@ The Professor: If worn correctly - with the bow in the back - it doesn't tickle the nose. Soemtimes the ears, though!

@ coffeexandxtea: Danke! So ein Kragen ist echt fix gemacht, schminken für die Fotos hat länger gedauert als den Kragen zu machen... Eigentlich ist das Kitzeln nicht so schlimm, nur wenn man ihn falsch trägt!

@ Avadawhra: Danke sehr!

@ Jade: Thanks, I always struggle to take nice pictures because my face and hands are somehow strange and I never know how to pose. DeadDoll is a freind of mine, so just go ahead and support her! She makes great quality, too...

Laura Morrigan said...

Looks amazing! Great work!

Sylvie D said...

I am always amazed over everyone's ability to make these things. Great job!

Neisella Nightshade said...

der ist... beeindruckend =)

MindLess said...

@ Laura Morrigan: Thank you!

@ Sylvie D: Thanks!

@ Neisi: Findest du? Wirkt vermutlich bei so Schwanenhalsschönheiten besser - und weniger kitzlig! ^^

Neisella Nightshade said...

Ach, Schnickschnack Schwanenhals. Steht dir super, definitiv ein Hingucker!

MindLess said...

@ Neisi: Danke, Süße! :*

Ms Misantropia said...

Very nice! You look just like a Disney villain, like Snow White's stepmom :)

Ramona said...

oh ist dann ja evtl. was für den punkt, wenn das gekaufte meiner mutter nicht mehr uuuuunbedingt so heile ist ^_^ toll!

MindLess said...

@ Ms Misantropia: Oh wow, that's a compliment! Thank you!

@ Ramona: Wo hast du ihn denn gekauft? Und ja, sie sind wirklich einfach zu machen...

Fräulein Nachtschatten said...

Ich finde solche Federkragen unheimlich schick! ♥

MindLess said...

@ Fräulein Nachtschatten: Ich auch! Obwohl ich immer noch nicht genau weiß wann ich ihn mal anziehen soll...