Monday, June 22, 2015

Little Helper - chalk

Any seamstress who uses a pattern (and probably even the ones that draft their own patterns, I guess) needs a way to mark the cutting lines and seam allowances on the fabric. Most of us use chalk for variable reasons...
What is it good for?
Marking pattern pieces and seam allowances of the pattern on the fabric. Chalk has many advantages: It can be easily brushed or washed out, leaving no trace on the fabric. Chalk is more durable than self removing pen (which vanishes after a week) - if you do not brush over the fabric that much. It comes in a variety of colours (white, yellow for the use on white fabrics, red, blue - I've seen plenty). I use a little tool instead of real chalk because I don't like to sharpen chalk. Actually, cutting or biting into chalk is one of the most horrible feelings in the world for me, which makes me a kind of freak. I don't care. Anyway, my tool comes with refillable chalk powder (can be seen in the little window) and makes really thin lines, very precise. For normal people without chalk issues, a single sharp piece of chalk will absolutely do!

 photo IMG_6966_zpslqykfu6m.jpg

My chalk device has a nifty addition (in the picture on the right) which allows perfect seam allowances as it keeps the chalk line exactly 1,5 cm, 2,5 cm or 5 cm (for hems) away from the pattern. I'd love to have a 1cm option which is the seam allowance I use for jersey, but I'll do with the others as well!

 photo IMG_6967_zpsv14ziexr.jpg

 photo IMG_6968_zpsvmqcoflm.jpg

How much is it?
Normal chalk for sewing is a dime a dozen. Dirt cheap. Really! My fancy "I hate to handle chalk because I'm a freak of nature" costs about 10 Euros which it is worth for me, but may not be for you. The chalk refills (also in other colours) are 2 for 4 Euros.

Who needs this?
Anyone needs chalk for sewing! It doesn't have to be my expensive version, though...

8 comments:

Madame Mari Mortem said...

I am crazy jealous over your chalk wheel and seam allowance guide for it. They don't have that over here in the states that I've seen yet. We have clover's chaco, which I have many of... but that one there, that you have, is on my wishlist! =D
It's really good to hear that it's worth it! Heck, I special ordered stuff from Japan that some people deemed too much for a single item. I am crazy about sewing tools...

We should do swaps... we both sew and swoon over the same things. It would be pretty neat what our part of the world offers in sewing stuff ;)

MindLess said...

@ Madame Mari Mortem: I could send you one, I'm always jelous of the great Halloween stuff you have in the States! I think ordering from Japan might be a tad more than most people do, but not obsessive. Flying there to get some needles might be! ;)

Laura Morrigan said...

Biiig taylor's chalk fan! I am always losing mine, tgough!

MindLess said...

@ Laura Morrigan: I admire people who can touch it. Brrr...

Ramona said...

auch ne idee, ich hab immer so meine probleme mit der kreide und überlege deswegen mir nen stift zu holen aber dein teilchen schaut auch sehr verlockend aus!

MindLess said...

@ Ramona: Kreide ist fies... Aber das Rädchen hat den Nachteil, dass die Linien leichter verschwinden. Kreidestift kommen wegen des Malgefühls (wie Kreide *shiver*) für mich leider auch nicht in Frage!

AvA said...

Mit dem Rädchen habe ich auch immer das Problem, dass die blöden Linien einfach nicht halten. Kaum macht man ein bisschen was mit dem Stoff, sind sie schon kaum mehr sichtbar :/ sonst wäre das superpraktisch. Bei Jersey etc. verwende ich noch immer die gute alte Seife zum anzeichnen.

MindLess said...

@ AvA: Ja, das ist ein Nachteil. Seife ist auch doof anzuspitzen, sonst würde ich die nehmen. Meist verzichte ich auf das anzeichnen und schneide direkt um die angepinnten Schnittmuster. Oder eben das Kreiderad und ganz vorsichtig mit den Stoffen umgehen...