Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Mina Harker dress - Corset

Sorry for disappearing from the face of the earth, but with WGT nearing and my programming course and sports and a social life, I spent the rest of my waking time like this instead of blogging:


But I finished my outfit in time to wear it AND even made a second one! I'll start with showing you the corset in more detail... I used a red and black shot taffeta from my favourite seller (4 Euros per meter ^^) and lace and decorations I got from Stoklasa. The pattern was "Ruby" by Harlots and Angels.  I love the little sleeves as my very white arms look gigantic against darker fabrics...  Here you can see a picture of the full outfit which I wore to the community meeting of my favourite sewing forum:

 photo 20150523_1628551_zpsezxeh8ya.jpg

 photo 20150523_1635151_zpsdzoztcut.jpg

As you can see, the corset is pretty much perfect in the back, but the front is not the best asset. In fact, it is too large and I think I will rework it before wearing it outside again... Although I love the high front, it is indeed a bit to high and too loose. The gaping problem results from the bones that do not end at the upper part of the corset but below the sleeves. I might take another peak into the manual which I completely ignored while sewing. My fault, entirely!

 photo IMG_6915_zpsdysv5cit.jpg

The corset is lined in white cotton satin with snow owls and has an interlining of my muslin (which was made from thick cotton table clothes and not muslin!).

 photo IMG_6914_zpszuhakhhe.jpg

The sleeves are lined with black tafeta which was a small leftover piece from the underskirt.

 photo IMG_6916_zpsruxuwhmc.jpg

I added some chains of black faceted pearls - restrung and added the night before we headed off to Lepizig!

 photo IMG_6917_zps0euawo18.jpg

Did you ever sew something from Harlots and Angels? Maybe you have tips on Ruby-sewing for future trials?

14 comments:

Onychophora said...

Auch wenn du ein wenig unzufrieden bist, sieht es für mich echt super aus!
Ich hoffe, das WGT war auch ansonsten super :)

Sylvie D said...

Unfortunately I cannot offer you advice on how to sew a corset. IMHO- It looks amazing!

Ms Misantropia said...

It's so beautiful, great job!

Pixel Pixie said...

Wow, it came out well and looks lovely on you.

It's always fun to use a cute fabric for lining. :)

Laura Morrigan said...

Wow, you are amazing at sewing! The dress is breathtaking!

MindLess said...

@ Onychophora: Es ist toll, keine Frage. Aber ich kann es besser. Und ich weiß auch schon wie! WGT war toll...

@ Sylvie D: Thanks!

@ Ms Misantropia: Thank you!

@ Pixel Pixie: I love using the fun fabrics I bought and never used for linings! Especially cotton satins, which feel great on the skin!

@ Laura Morrigan: Thanks so much!

Nachtkatze said...

Du hast mal wieder ganz fantastisch darin ausgesehen :)

Alexandriaweb said...

Wow it's awesome!

Fräulein Nachtschatten said...

Wie wunderschön! <3

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

WOW!! I love how your dress turned out, the colour is great on you! I also love your attention to detail - the cute owl fabric for the lining looks so nice!

MindLess said...

@ Nachtkatze: Danke, das Kompliment kann ich nur zurückgeben!

@ Alexandriaweb: Thanks!

@ Fräulein Nachtschatten: Ich danke dir!

@ Vulcan Butterfly: Thank you, I love having a comfortable and cute lining!

Karoliina said...

Simply gorgeous! And thanks for the link to the fabric shop, they seem to have a really nice selection of decently priced taffetas :)

Ramona said...

trotzdem wunderhübsch, warum sind kreative leute immer so extrem selbstkritisch *lol*

MindLess said...

@ Karoliina: I buy most of my tafeta there, the prices and quality are excelent!

@ Ramona: Danke! Die Passform nervt halt schon ein bisschen, wenn ich mich auch nur leicht vorbeuge fallen die Möpse raus! ^^