Monday, May 11, 2015

Little helpers - Tailor's ham

Although I'm not so keen on ironing, the more I sew the more I iron. It really does make stuff look more professional and it some cases is necessary. On the other hand, i reduced my iron-on- interfacing use dramatically because I use underlining more. Well, anyway: Ironing. I do it and I bought a cool tool which I actually use pretty often - A Tailor's ham!

What is it good for?
It is actually a bag which is stuffed with wood shavings to make a compact and round thingamajig to put into coat shoulders or set sleeves for ironing. Doesn't sound impressive?


 photo IMG_6887_zpsioduatio.jpg


Well, my mum used it once and now wants her own! It really helps to get rid of wrinkles in coat sleeves as the fabric is ironed in the form that it should stay and you can use the warm wet heat (that will generate strange visits to my blog, I can see it coming! ^^) to move the fabric and reduce wrinkles from sewing!


What does it cost?
After struggling to find a German word for Tailor's ham (hint: Schneiderschinken doesn't work), I found one on amazon for 6 Euros including shipping. You could also make one yourself, but for that cost, why bother with the mess?


Who needs this?
Everyone and their mom! It helps to make garments, it helps to iron (bought) garments, it reduces trouble to iron blouses (you know, the booby-does-not-stay-flat-part?!) and it is even rather cheap. Go ahead and get one already!

5 comments:

AgnesBarton said...

Jetzt bin ich aber neugierig - was ist denn das deutsche Wort dafür?

MindLess said...

@ Agnes Barton: Ich habe _keine_ Ahnung! Der bei Amazon war unter Tailor's ham zu finden...

AgnesBarton said...

Ach so, ich dachte, Du hättest es herausgefunden und wolltest uns nur auf die Folter spannen. ;-) :-D

Mara Macabre said...

Ich kenne so eine Bügelhilfe von meinem Schneiderkurs und fand das schon immer sehr hilfreich aber war zu geizig dafür so viel Geld auszugeben, einfach ein Kissen selberzunähen ist natürlich eine super Idee ;)

MindLess said...

@ Agnes Barton: Nein, so bin ich nicht... Aber Mara Macabres "Bügelhilfe" klingt doch ganz gut!

@ Mara Macabre: Naja, wenn ich ehrlich bin: Für 6 Euro staubfesten Stoff und die Sägespäne zu bekommen finde ich schon knapp. Und dann noch die Arbeit mit dem Stopfen... Ich finde, so teuer ist es nicht!