Wednesday, May 6, 2015

If at first you don't succeed...

... dust yourself off and try again, try again! *Singing in my best "Aaliyah" voice* Let us talk about failing... I know that we bloggers tend to write about successes. If you are not particularly careful and keep it real, it is easy to suggest to readers that we live in an ever clean world (were no trash or dirty clothes lies around, every surface is always clean and the sun shines warmly through freshly cleaned windows onto carefully arranged flower...) where only good things happen. So. not. true!

My flat often looks like a bunch of angry Belgians threw a trash party. Sometimes the photo corner or the table are the only clean things in my home. Carefully arranged flowers have a general life expectancy of 5 days, but might stay in their vase much longer, drying up. Plus you can generally find at least a shirt and two socks laying somewhere on the floor.

Same with sewing. I present the finished costumes here, but you never get to see the amount of blood, sweat and tears that went into them. And the curses, let's not forget the curses! ;) I know why I refrain from taking work in progress pictures as I'm messy as h*ll, screw up and reconfigure all the time and my seam ripper is my best friend.

I use the wrong fabric for my projects and end up with horrible things like this:

 photo IMG_6893_zpskacgcvqp.jpg

In case you are wondering, this is the other, knotted version of my waterfall to go shirt pattern Simplicty 1716. I tried and I failed. Partly because I can't for the life of me figure out how to knot it without strangling myself, partly because my thick good quality jersey is probably to thick to form a nice knot. Bummer, into the trash it went!

 Or look at this beauty:

 photo IMG_6906_zpskiuedkrq.jpg


 photo IMG_6905_zpssoxbzphd.jpg


Although I measured twice and cut once, I somehow ended up with a skirt which is much shorter on one side than the other. I measured; it is a 12cm difference on a floor length skirt. How can that happen? No idea! Especially after years of sewing experience... I'm now onto repairing it by moving the shorter part down!

How is your sewing going? Did you have any major meltdowns lately? Or is everything running smoothly?

9 comments:

Fräulein Nachtschatten said...

Schön, dass jemand auch mal diese Seiten anspricht! Denn du sprichst mir aus der Seele...^^
Vielleicht sollte man mal so eine Blogger-Aktion starten, wo alle ihre Fails zeigen!^^

Alexandriaweb said...

I keep doing the same thing with sides not matching, I have no idea how I keep doing it!
I swear ghosts are eating my fabric or something.

Janina said...

Oh, ja. Da stimme ich Fräulein Nachtschatten zu, bei so ner Aktion wär ich auch dabei. Mein "bester" Fail war als ich bei einem Jersey-Mini das unelastische Ösenband rundherum aufgenäht habe - da kam ich natürlich garnicht rein ;)

Madame Lacrima said...

Mir passierte letztes Jahr was dämliches als ich auf die Idee kam ich müssen nen größeren Reifrock unter meiner Line haben. Hab den alten zerlegt weil ich das Material wiederverwenden wollte. Danach hab ich mal die Saumweite des Kleides nachgemessen und kam zu der Erkenntnis das ich gar keinen größeren Reifrock verwenden kann. Musste also noch mal einen in der selben größe machen. Arbeit für nichts ;)

Ramona said...

I like the idea of fabric eating ghosts XD and sure but every fail can be turned into something better!

MindLess said...

@ Fräulein Nachtschatten: Das ist eine gute Idee, ich setze mich nach dem WGT mal daran!

@ Alexandriaweb: Ghosts sound like a very realistic explaination! Maybe zhey can be exorcised To leave my fabric alone?

@ Janina: Wie gesagt, ich ssetz mich dran! Das mit dem Ösenband ist super! Mein bisher dööfster fail war der Ärmel im Halsausschnitt. Mit der Ovi eingenäht. Hab ich geflucht beim auftrennen!

@ Madame Lacrima: Oh nein, die ganze Arbeit umsonst! Und Stahl ablängen ist so eine Hassarbeit, das macht bei mir immer mein Freund...

@ Ramona: Well, not every fail. Using the wrong fabric usually kills a project...

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

OMG you should see all the outtakes of my photos. What you see on my blog is not that great but they are the best ones out of all the photos I take! I am sure that behind every fancy looking blog, there is a huge mess somewhere in the background!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan Butterfly: The ones on your blog are so good they make me shiver from comparison! My make up never even shows up in the pictures!

Laura Morrigan said...

It always feels relieving to know others have failures and are messy too!