Friday, April 3, 2015

Poncho shirt

I made yet another shirt, but used a new pattern. I think I might be on a top pattern sewing streak! Might be because I bought bunches of jerseys lately and those turn into tops most of the time in my household...
Anyway, the pattern is Simplicity 1757 and it makes a half circle shirt. I used jersey becasue i falsely remebered that the pattern called for it, which is not true. I will soon make another  longer version from non-stretchy fabric for a dress. On the second picture below you can see the extend of the "sleeves" or "wings". There is a seam to define the body a bit, but otherwise a bunch of fabric just floats around you while wearing it!

 photo IMG_6817_zpsbrjndouf.jpg

 photo IMG_6818_zpsxwlyxuyh.jpg

This shirt was also sewn withthe twin needle and the petrol thread. If you think this is because I was too lazy to switch threads that is entirely possible. You could also call in decorative accent stitching though! ^^

 photo IMG_6819_zpsl7mqopn2.jpg

Pattern Review
The shirt was really easy to cut and sew, all in all it took maybe 50 minutes. I've not worn it much yet as the "wings" are in the way under cardigans and pullovers and it is still too cold to go without. So there is no long term experience if it is comfortable. But it is quick and easy to make, doesn't take up that much fabric and you can play Batman with it - if this does not convince you the pattern is good, I don't know what will!

4 comments:

Jade said...

I for one think that petrol thread is a beautiful color and is a great accent on the shirt! :)

MindLess said...

@ Jade: Thanks for the nice comment! I love teal and think that my lazyness was helpful here for once... ;)

Neisella Nightshade said...

Ich steh momentan total auf Ponchos und hätte auch gerne einen. Am liebsten ungemustert in einem dunklen grau mit weit fallendem Rollkragen. Aber ohne Stoff, Schnitt und Motivation sieht das schlecht aus xD

MindLess said...

@ Neisi: Der Schnitt ist zwei Halbkreise, das sollte machbar sein. Wollen wir beim nächsten Treffen einen Schnitt basteln?