Monday, March 9, 2015

Little Helpers: Buttonhole measure

I'd like to start a series on helpful tools for (beginning) seamstresses. And with tools I do not mean sewing machines or the best type of needle - although that would be helpful as well, maybe sometime later?- but rather literally "tools". Things I use regularly and love a lot!

I'll start with this buttonhole measure.

 photo IMG_6809_zpsjtnexqpf.jpg

What is it good for?
It divides a given length into equal parts to place buttonholes or other things. It was invented for buttonholes, but you can also use it to distribute decorative trims or pleats or anything you'd like. For buttonholes, you simply put either the first or second position on the breast apex (the part of your chest that marks the widest circumference) and pull it to the full length of your garment. If you'd like more buttons, just carefully mark the positions and move the measure along the garment without changing the interval between the buttonholes.


The same goes for pleats or anything: Set the desired interval and move the measure along the garment. Works like a charm every time!

What does it cost?
I paid 20 Euros including shipping (German seller)

Who needs this?
Everyone who designs their own patterns and uses buttonholes on those. Everyone who has a chest that deviates from the norm and has trouble to find/sew blouses that don't gape at the chest. Everyone who uses trims or large pleats. 

Do you have any recommendations for me? Tools you dearly love but no one knows about? Or something that works better than the buttonhole measure I recommend here? I'd love to learn about that!

10 comments:

Bane said...

Oooh, what a clever tool! I may have to get one of those little guys for myself. :)

kakuidori said...

seriously never heard of that before (i think) 20€ isnt much either...

Janina said...

I also didn't know such a thing existed. :)
The two things I would never give away again is my rotary cutter and quilt ruler, although I mainly sew chlothes. But no unsusual tool over here...

MindLess said...

@ Bane: I just found out that the tool is also called Simflex (a brand name I guess), so you might find that easier... And yes, it is indeed helpful!

@ Kakuidori: Wenn meine Mama keins gehabt hätte, wäre es mir auch noch nicht über den Weg gelaufen! Und es ist wirklich nicht teuer, dafür dass alle Knöpfe hinterher gut sitzen!

@ Janina: Gute Idee, den Rollschneider muss ich auch noch beschreiben. Es gitb nichts besseres für Rüschen und Falten an historischen Kostümen!

Laura Morrigan said...

And here was me using a ruler! Buttonholes are such a pain, though! :O

Madame Mari Mortem said...

I love my expanding gauge-- so many uses! I bought a vintage one off ebay, because it has a little more weight to it than the ones produced today.

I love sewing gadgets... I have such a massive collection of old and new tools, it's a little hard to pick just one I cannot live without lol. At this moment, I'm infatuated with my florian pinkers; I also love my sewing button elevator, which really really cuts out the guessing and improvising when making thread shank buttons. I also really love my pocket curve pressing template... ack! I can't pick!

Madame Mari Mortem said...

I forgot to mention a really forgotten multipurpose tool that is an alternative for the expanding gauge! The Traum Dressmaker guide. It's a funky little tool that has as many uses, and was designed by Mary Brooks Picken herself! I found a beat up one in a dollar sewing goody bag at a thrift store.

MindLess said...

@ Laura Morrigan: A ruler was what I used before, too. But I think this is better! ^^

@ Madame Mari Mortem: I know about your estensive stash of sewing tools, so no wonder you also own this! I'll look into your recommendations (as always) and see which I could also use (and love)! Thanks for your recomendations!

Neisella Nightshade said...

Noch nie gesehen oder gehört. Wie cool ist das Ding bitte :-)

MindLess said...

@ Neisi: Ich leihe es dir gerne aus! Man kann damit auch super Ösen anzeichnen...