Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Generation next dress

As soon as I saw the McCall's pattern M6791, I knew I needed this in my life. A figure hugging dress (when I currently feel a little bigger than usual), with open back (when I ususally wear a bra) und really long sleeves (when I usually put mine up to the elbows)? Count me in!

Actually, I have no idea why I wanted it, but I had to have it. And to sew it. So I used some of the fabric I bought on the fabric market and got to work:

 photo IMG_6810_zps1wdwth0u.jpg

 photo IMG_6814_zpsx9eadhcu.jpg

I tweaked the pattern a little with a snap button in the back for easier entry and exit of the dress. I also added some clear elastic in the sleeves for a permanent ruffled look:

 photo IMG_6813_zpsqj6z8l3g.jpg

 photo IMG_6816_zpszdukw8do.jpg

I was so happy that I finished it with all stripes matching as well as possible - some pattern parts change direction, so it did not work everywhere. But then I realsied a huge mistake: When sewing the underdress, I wanted to avoid itchy seams on the inside. So I somehow put them on the outside - which looked really stupid and just plain wrong...

 photo IMG_6811_zpsgzywllak.jpg

 photo IMG_6812_zpsi4v1ta5c.jpg

After some serious bad words and several days of not-looking-at-that-stupid-thingy, I took my trusty seam ripper and corrected my mistake. Now it looks really sweet and waits for some occasion to wear it out!


By the way, the pattern was rather easy - if you keep in mind which seams will be visible  on the outside. I'd recommend a rather thin jersey because I don't like the ruffling in the back that much with my thicker jersey. It looks a little to prominent in my eyes... And any pattern will show off the directional changes very much, so be aware. But if you follow the instructions, this pattern is as easy as the pattern says!

6 comments:

kakuidori said...

oooh da hätt ich mich auch geärgert und geflucht und es erstmal nicht angeguckt XD schaut nu aber toll aus!

Laura Morrigan said...

Very cool and interesting looking dress!

AvA said...

Tolles Kleid! Elegant und bequem zugleich.

MindLess said...

@ Kakuidori: Danke! ^^

@ Laura Morrigan: Thanks, darling!

@ AvA: Ja, es is ziemlich bequem, wobei ein dünnerer Jersey vermutlich noch kuscheliger wäre...

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

That looks really neat! Be sure to post pictures when you wear it!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan Butterfly: Thanks! As soon as I get good pictures, I'll post them...