Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Flash Gordon Hat

As I mentioned in the monthly homework assesment, I still had some fabric left from the Flash Gordon bustle and decided I needed a fancy ensemble for the Steampunk fair at the end of February. Isn't it incredible that I probably will make it on time? With like almost a month spare? I can hardly recognize myself! ^^

Anyway, the hat. I bought the pattern from Harlots and Angels when they had a sale around Christmas. I usually only buy patterns to cut and don't like to copy a pattern from larger sheets (like Burda or other sewing magazines) or print and assemble PDF patterns. But I thought a hat will not be many pieces, so this could work. The pattern I used was "The Abigail Promanade Hat" and it was indeed quickly assembled. Well the pattern itself was...

 photo IMG_6724_zpsd9a0469c.jpg

 photo IMG_6726_zps325ae790.jpg

 photo IMG_6730_zpsa266d08d.jpg

I used the Flash Gordon fabric as the upper fabric and lined the underside with leftover black poly lining. The hat was decorated with feathers, red trim and black fake flowers. It looks pretty cool when worn and absolutely distracts from my short hair. It is not a hat for shy people!

Now the little pattern review: It took me several weeks to figure it out before I even dared to cut it. My boyfriend was not able to help me with the assembly and I was only able to make some progress when I visited Neisella and she helped me. So I can't say it was exactly easy. Also, hat making is not an easy art - the glue is annoying, you need at least 5 hands to hold everyhing together while it dries and it takes forever! So the pattern is nothing for beginners and I'd recommend it to advanced intermediates. But it looks good, so it is worth hassle in the end!

10 comments:

Ms Misantropia said...

Amazing hat, and beautiful bustle!

Insomniac’s Attic said...

I love the fabric - the red accents are perfect! I've bookmarked the link, although I doubt I'd ever attempt any of them - maybe the leather belt bags. :)

Laura Morrigan said...

Wow, it looks amazing! I have a friend who makes hats and she has told me how hard it is!

MindLess said...

@ Ms Misantropia: Thank you! At the beginning of MArch I'll show you some pics of the full outfit...

@ Insomniac's attic: Thanks! Most of the garments are too steampunky for my taste, but I also ordered some men's wear patterns and a corset which I have yet to sew.

@ Laura Morrigan: It takes some fiddling, but it is not easy. But a lot of fun and you end up with a hat that can be decorated however you like!

Neisella Nightshade said...

viele Federn! Der Hut ist definitiv ein Eyecatcher. Und ich freu mich, dass du das olle Biest bezwungen hast.

MindLess said...

@ Neisi: Och, so viele sind es nicht. Nur 6 große... Und vielen Dank nochmal für deine Hilfe, ohne dich wäre er immer noch nur der Zuschnitt! ^^

Jade said...

That is gorgeous, you are so talented. :) I especially love the ostrich feathers!

MindLess said...

@ Jade: Thanks! I also think that they look better than the partridge poult feathers they usd on the cover of the pattern...

graverobbergirl said...

Gorgeous hat! I've done patterns where you're supposed to sew more than glue, which was also tricky. Your end result is beautiful, though!

MindLess said...

@ graverobbergirl: This hat is glued and sewed depending on manageability. Lateron it didn't fit under the sewing machine any longer... ;)