Friday, February 27, 2015

February Homework Assignment: Beautiful Sounds


This month's homework assignment is all about the Sound of Music:
It's Monthly Homework announcement time! WAHOO! For this month's assignment I'd like for you to blog about the most beautiful piece of music that you've ever heard. Keep in mind this isn't about a piece of music that influenced you or is part of the soundtrack of your life. Rather, it's music that aesthetically moves you. Please tell us what the piece of music is, who composed/wrote it, why you love it, and how it moves you. And if you want to be visual, show us images that you associate with this music. Ah, I know, I sound all artsy don't I? Your homework is due on February 26-28.
 The band I saw a mere 2 weeks ago accompanies me with their music for more than 10 years now. It all started with a white album with a white rabbit on it in my teens and I still love hearing Alexander Veljanov sing. How important that music is for me can already be seen in the fact that not only I know the bands name but also the name of the lead singer! I'm notoriously bad at remebering names and have a hard time memorizing band names as well. Ususally I ask my boyfriend who made the song I'm currently listening to. The song I'd like to talk about today is "Where you are" by Deine Lakaien:


The song is about taking wrong decisions in life and that important people in your life might not be around if you wait for too long. The lyrics are:

i did join the race
hunting for success
selling dreams was all i knew
for the rising stars and i did work hard/my important part
all my feelings are with you

where i am
where you are

and i changed my life
and i moved outside
where the water is clear and pure
where the lands are wide
where the air is bright
all my feelings are with you

where i am
where you are

and i walk up the hill
and i can't stand still
'till the day of our last rendez-vous
and the leaves turn red
and i bow my head
all my feelings are with you

where i am
where you are


I think I might have taken a wrong turn when starting at my current job. I invested too much time, worked overtime and neglected myself and my friends. I'm trying to make up for it now. I'll try to find a new job with better working conditions. Somewhere where overtime is not expected (or at least paid well), where I don't come on the weekends and where I have more energy for my free time which makes me much happier and relaxed.

Fortunately, my friends and family did not mind being set back behind work so long, so I did not lose anyone because of my decision yet. And I'll do my very best to change my ways now that my time of "selling dreams" and "hunting for success" are over! And besides the great lyrics, the music is wonderful and Alexander's voice makes me goosebumbs every time I hear it!

7 comments:

kakuidori said...

yarrr! <3 and good luck on the job thingy!

Laura Morrigan said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Thank you for sharing this, I will definitely be looking up more by this group!

MindLess said...

@ Kakuidori: Long time no see! Und danke, das kann ich brauchen...

@ Laura Morrigan: They are so nice and the music is so amazing!

Ms Misantropia said...

I'm sorry to hear that your job isn't working out. I am currently considering a job change and it is really stressing me out.

MindLess said...

@ Ms Misantropia: Thank you for your kind words, but it was my on decision to move on from this job. Actually, I feel better now that i made the decision!

I keep my fingers crossed that everything works out for you! I can't help but admire you for your strength! It must be tremendously hard to fight the demon depression and still make changes in your life!

The Professor said...

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE DEINE LAKAIEN!!! LOVE. And, of course, the various other projects they have their hands in.

Good luck with finding balance in your life. I struggle with this as well. Sending you love and hugs!

MindLess said...

@ Dr. Professor: I thought they were quite unknown outside Germany, but love to here that you know and love them! I think the time right after your PhD is a time of reorganization and orientation. So I guess what we are going through is normal, but still it feels hard...