Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wawawoom dress

When I was in Barcelona, I went to a fabric store to buy some fabric. I was overwhelmed by all the options I had, so I struggled what fabric to buy. And my lovely boyfriend surprised me by not only sitting through my ideas, he also suggested fabrics and discussed which ones he would prefer - can there seriously be a better boyfriend than him? In the end we decided to get a violet-gold brocade for what my boyfriend a "Wawawoom-dress".

I had 4 m and the original plan was to finish this dress by the end of November. Which I failed as you see but I think that 1 months later is still acceptable! I used the pattern 4092 by Simplicity wtih minimal changes (ruffles for dedoration, embroidery) and it took only 4 days from cutting to finish:

 photo IMG_6659_zpsb7d3466a.jpg

 photo IMG_6661_zpsdd1f232f.jpg

  photo IMG_6660_zps0cbb8eaa.jpg

I bought the golden taffeta for the underskirt and ruffles at an online retailer and have nothing left after this and another project. Good for using up stash fabric! I used gold for the inside of the sleeves and made some embroidery on the stomacher:

 photo IMG_6662_zps2beaa084.jpg


I know that the fraying of the ruffles is historically correct, but it annoys the crap out of me. Any ideas how to get rid of that? I'm also not sure wether to add some lace to the dress or not...

10 comments:

Jade said...

Wawawoom-dress indeed! :) that is gorgeous! I am not familiar with sewing fancy clothes, especially historical ones. Where would you add lace, if you added it?

Ms Misantropia said...

Amazing!

Ette Ett said...

Und sowas nähst du in vier Tagen!? Wahnsinn...
Ich mag die Farbkombi sehr, auch wenn ich wohl nie an sie gedacht hätte (hätte wohl lila immer automatisch mit silber verarbeitet).
Hast du es für einen bestimmten Anlass genäht?
Zum Ausfransen: Ich meine ein Mitglied von NuS (die Tochter von Arwen Abendstern, mir fällt ihr Name grad partout nicht ein), benutzt immer Fray-Check. Vielleicht schreibst du sie mal an? Ich habe es selber noch nie probiert, aber für mich klingt es wie eine Art Klarlack, also vielleicht sollte ein wenig Nagellack oder Stoffkleber auch gehen?

Bane said...

WOW! Fantastic job! I love the detail you added to the stomacher.

Good question on the fraying... You could use a liquid sealant such as Fray Check, but you'd need quite a lot of it and it might discolor the edges of the fabric. You could also pink the fabric, but it might be hard to do it evenly now that it's ruffled up.

Laura Morrigan said...

Wow, it looks amazing! What great work! Pretty much in awe! And the colour choices are great!

MindLess said...

@ Jade: Thank for your nice comment! I'd add the lace around the neckline and in the sleevebells. Maybe I can make some pics with the lace pinned in?

@ Ms Misantropia: Thanks!

@ ette: Naja, 4 freie Tage nur nähen finde ich nicht schnell... Bisher hat es noch keinen Anlass, aber der Stoff musste weg! ^^ Und der Brokat is lila-golden, hab ich vorher auch nch nie gesehen. Aber er ist soooo schön! Tenshi (die meinst du doch?) benutzt Fraycheck, aber das ändert die Farbe, genau wie Nagellack.

@ Bane: Thank you! Fraycheck might help, but it discolours the edges and I already pinked... It still farys! -.-#

@ Laura Morrigan: Thanks!

Neisella Nightshade said...

Knüller! Ich bin echt begeistert =)

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Wow! I can't wait to see you wear it!

Jade said...

@MindLess: I do think pics of the lace would give us readers some idea of what you planned. :)

Jade said...

@MindLess: The pics of pinned lace on the dress would help us readers to see what you are planning. :) Or have you already sewed the lace on?