Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Monthly Homework - Dog days of summer



Professor Z (who is really closing in her PhD now, you go girl!), is back for good on her blog now and the first thing she does is giving us homework. Right in the middle of summer where teachers had no power and the days are sunny and long... *sigh*

No, just kidding! This homework is totally voluntary and I hope that she keeps this monthly thing up! Today's topic is "Dog days of summer" and as a non-native english speaker I had to google this first. Seems like the expression also exists in german and I never stumbled upon it. Who would have guessed?!




What I did this summer that I have never done before? I got my tattoo, did a lot of functional cell stuff at work (which I only dabbled with before so I learned a lot), visited 3 festivals in a mere 2 months and made big plans for next year... 

I'm really not into heat. I feel like my brain stops proper function once the air reaches 25 °C. So when it gets really hot, I spend my day indoors with the windows wide open and a fan to cool me down. If it is possible, I only do stuff late at night once the temperatures cool down enough that I fell more intelligent than toast. For work this is not possible, so I drink cold drinks, cool my feet with water and spend every possible second in the cooled room which has 4°C!

5 comments:

Lynoire said...

Now, that you mention it, a similar saying also exists in Hungarian; Well, we say it's 'dog hot', but you get the point, I think. ^^

Jade said...

I still think your cool baths for feet idea is marvelous. :D Is that room with only 4 Celsius a huge fridge, or is it some sort of a research room?

linnea-maria said...

I'm like you above 25 degrees and I'm a mess

Laura Morrigan said...

Hee hee, funny! :)

I haven;t seen your tattoo! Maybe you put up pictures before I found this blog.

MindLess said...

@ Lynoire: It is so strange how many sayings exist in several languages! But it shows that cultures can really work together and that makes me happy!

@ Jade: Both, it is a room sized fridge, but we also do some experiments in there. And the cold feet bath is the only thing that keeps me sane when the temperatures reach 30°C...

@ linnea-maria: And I thought that moving to Sweden might be a solution for my German heat problem! ;)

@ Laura Morrigan: I have not postet it yet since I wanted to show it to my mum in person before she finds it on this blog! ^^ But I soon will...