Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Matching Muff for the Russian wrap

I hope everyone had a happy New Year's eve yesterday and passed into a shiny new year 2014! As 2013 was a really good year for me (with a PhD and a work trip to Barcelona, a Postdoc for 2014, me and my boyfriend still being sickly in love...), I can hardly imagine how 2014 will be any better! But I'm always in for a surprise...

Anyway, does anyone else here have New Year's resolutions that have something to do with sewing or being creative? In the end of December 2013, I measured and photographed all of my fabrics. Let me say that I have a lot of fabric and it took a while. *sigh* I really want to reduce the mount of fabric I'm hoarding like Smaug in the Lonely Mountain, so I will re-introduce 2012's monthly fabric stash posts.

And in order to find more time to be creative, I will simply reduce my TV and Internet time as ette from "Parva sed apta" recommended. I never felt bad when I missed a TV show, but in the end of the day often regretted not being creative enough. TV doesn't really help with regeneration unlike doing stuff with my hands or reading. So I will only watch TV in the evening if I was at the gym before. Should kick my lazy ass into gear! ;)

So with all this chitchat about resolutions, let's start with the last pieces I've sewn in 2013! I made a coordinating muff for the Russian hat and wrap I made in December!

 photo IMG_0105_zps248447c7.jpg photo IMG_0106_zpsd3484cd2.jpg

I used the same lining for hat and muff. In the lining are two build in pockets that are closed with snap buttons (in hindsight, a picture of the lining before sewing it into the muff would have been better :) ) and a key band, so I don't have to take yet another bag. I also used a filling for the first time as I still had an old pillow lying around. Now the muff is sooooo warm!

 photo IMG_0107_zps15945f30.jpg

And what's even better: The outfit was already photographed by a professional! Call me the Russian wine emperor...

 photo image001_zps1118713b.jpg

9 comments:

Bane said...

Such a pretty wrap! You did a great job combining warmth + elegance + practicality in the muff. :) And the photo is lovely!

Switching TV time for creative time is always a good idea. No one on her deathbed ever said, "I wish I'd watched more TV." ;) After sewing my way through most of my stash last year, I am left with lots of small pieces and scraps. Finding ways to use those will be my creative goal for 2014.

I look forward to seeing your fabric stash posts!

ette said...

Thank you for quoting me, you trying the same thing puts some pressure to my undertaking, because I knpw my weakness when it comes to screens of every kind.^^ Photographing the fabric stash, sounds like a horrible but beneficial idea, considering my own stash. First because I fear all those hillarious fabrics I still have burried somewhere, second because it would just show me that I have too much of it. I was really shocked as we moved and I had to move every single one from the boxes back into the cupboard. That's one reason why I want to sew more this year (let's just ignore that I just bought 10m of fabric at Ikea). I wish you a very happy new year!

MindLess said...

@ Bane: Thanks for the nice comments! I hope I remember waht you said once the first laziness rolls around and the couch starts to emit gravity again... ;) Maybe you could start quilting with the small leftovers?

@ ette: We could try to reinforce each other! It didn't take more than 3 hours and I seriously reduced my stash at the same time. I simply threw away everything I new I would never use any more (well, it ended up in the fabric collection, not in the trash)!

Neisella Nightmare said...

Hmmmm, schön! Und das Bild von dir mit den Wein. Du siehst hinreißend aus. Ein bisschen streng, aber das passt grandios zur Pose^!

MindLess said...

@ Neisella: Danke, du Süße! Findest du nicht auch, dass ich Wein verkaufen sollte? "Trink diesen Wein, sofort!" *mit russichem Akzent*

Jade said...

Those garments are so stylish and you look really beautiful in that pic!

MindLess said...

@ Jade: Thanks for your comments, you are making me blush! ^^

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Love the photo! I actually do have a resolution for this year....I had a resolution to take a sewing class to improve my skills last year and never did it. As for this year....I start class next week!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan Butterfly: Thank you! Sometimes resolutions are not matching the year they are made in. But congratulations on doing it this year, I hope you have a lot of fun sewing!