Monday, November 4, 2013

Book wreath

I'm back with full force now that the d*mned PhD business is over! This weekend I finished something I had on my to do list for quite some time: A door wreath made from book pages!

I saw the wreath first in Agnes Barton's blog and she linked back to the original tutorial here. Essentially, you need a polystyrol base, an old book and lots and lots of hot glue! I did some in progress pics:

 photo ST831894_zps020a50ad.jpg
All ingredients needed!

 photo ST831895_zpsf3e7b578.jpg
I can assure you that the novel was not worth saving. I would have never re-read it, it had nicely yellowed pages andI would never buy a new book to destroy it!
Now I folloewd the tutorial. Yu can even find a video tut here if you are unsure how to roll and glue.

 photo ST831896_zpse99ac315.jpg

 photo ST831897_zps8c2081dc.jpg

 photo ST831898_zpsd55e57c8.jpg

So after burning your fingers a lot of times and about 3 glue sticks in the hot glue gun, your wreath is finished:

 photo ST831899_zps94162c27.jpg

And this is the final product hanging at our door! I added a ribbon to hang it and a cut out raven that is part of my Halloween decoration. But with the changing seasons I can easily see the wreath adapt (a Christmas bauble? Some flowers in spring?)...


Do you like it?

11 comments:

ette said...

Congrats that you finished! Do you have to do a thesis defence as well or do you already have done it? I hope that you will be abel to finish soon and finally get your degree!
And thank you for this beautiful idea. I have a whole box of books that I can't keep and that nobody wants, so I am collecting ideas to craft with them at the moment. And this wreath is a perfect decoration for the whole year.

Bane said...

I like it! :) The yellowed pages are perfect, as is the ribbon to hang it.

linnea-maria said...

I adore it! It turned out great! The ruffled look on the papers, a very nice idea :)

MindLess said...

@ ette: I had my defence on Wednesday last week, so now everything is over and I only have to wait for the official form saying I can carry the title. I'm looking forward for your book wreath as well, you are very handy and it will probably be beautiful!

@ Bane: Thank you! I like how it can be so easily redecorated...

@ linnea-maria: Thanks! It looks a bit like a ruffled collar from book pages. Unfortunately it is way to fragile to wear something like it.

Lynoire said...

It's awesome, the old, yellowish pags look great. :)

Claire said...

Congratulations on finishing!

That looks amazing!

MindLess said...

@ Lynoire: Thank you! I looked for an old worn book because I love the fading yellow gradient.

@ Claire: Thanks and thanks! ^^

Mara Macabre said...

Schön geworden, besonders mit dem Vogel, das gefällt mir

Danke für die Anleitung :)

MindLess said...

@ Mara Macabre: Danke sehr! Und ich freue mich, wenn noch mehr Leute schöne Sachen basteln, ich würde gerne sehen was du aus der Anleitung machst!

Neisella Nightmare said...

Oooooh, das seh ich ja erst jetzt. Sehr hübsch <3

MindLess said...

@ Neisi: Danke! <3