Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Short interruption - Screw Mysogynism!

I think most of you know that Robin Thicke has a song out which is admittedly very catchy, but really horribly sexistic in video and lyrics. I won't link the original video (I trust your internet search abilities enough to find it ^^), but was really a bit p*ssed of by the content and the amount of people I spoke to that see no problem with half-naked women crawling around while fully dressed men sing about how they "know you want it" and "wanna grab you". No kidding, if you really believe you deserve "a good girl" that you can use because you "know" she wants it and later put her in the used trash, I have no doubts that you will never find a stable relationship!

Anyway (sorry for ranting :) ), I stumbled upon two very good parodies that might help to show the underlying problematic even to guys that say "Oh, he's just joking! And the naked women are fully aware of what they did in the video". It's not about this single one video, but about the whole sexistic culture it represents! So, here you can see how it feels to be a subject of sexism:


Love the lyrics on this one! But the next video is filmed more like the original and displays and equal sexual discrimination that the original, just with reversed roles:


So guys, before you assume that "it is just a joke", please try to imagine that you seeing the same stuff with reversed roles and then decide wether the joke is still funny...

6 comments:

Shannon Rutherford said...

God I hate that song and those two douchebags who sing it. I knew the second parody (and I also knew it was censored because of nudity... but that pile of steaming shit that is "Blurred Lines" is still there!) but I hadn't seen the first one: it's amazing, thank you for sharing it!

Audronasha The Countess said...

Still those to videos doesn't sound and look so offensive as the real ones :(
I'm happy I don't have tv at home and find out about this song only from this post. I hope lot of bull...t do not reach me as this did :D but yeah, the common youth are now driven by sex. And what was once left between bedroom walls no is on tumblr :D

Ms Misantropia said...

That song, and whoever Robin Thicke is, has thankfully passed me by completely. And after reading about it I certainly don't want to look it up :(

MindLess said...

@ Shannon Rutherford: Yes, Youtube censored the video, but reacted on women's protests and put it back up. Horrible that female nudity seems okay, but beware of guys in strings and eyeliner!

@ Audronasha The Countess: I have to admit that the song is catchy. But the lyrics really p'ss me off! I agree that the oversexualisation of today's youth is a huge problem. And young girls might not understand hat famous singers are not always right...

@ Ms Misantropia: You are really lucky, the less media one consumes the happier the life is! At least that is my impression.

Shannon Rutherford said...

Yeah, it's annoying when your gender's the one being sexually objectified, huh? But we women are usually told to just "have a laugh" about it and stop whining.
And they don't even have to put up with so much sexism and objectification as we do, so as annoyed as they might have been seeing that video, they can't even begin to imagine how sick and tired we are of the literal thousands of video where women are treated as pieces of meat. This is just another example to us. *We* are the ones who have the right to be angry.

MindLess said...

@ Shannon Rutherford: Exactly!