Monday, August 12, 2013

Good things come to those who wait...

I hope I'm not alone with having some unfinished objects (UFOs) lying around. Please tell me that having stuff lying around even for years is normal! Because I have one box where I put sewing and DIY stuff that I want to finish, but that frustrate me enough to put them aside for a while... Some stuff gets rigorously thrown out (to small, to large, wrong fabric) but sometimes a project is worth finishing...- just not right now! So in my box, those half finished clothes wait patiently. Sometimes it's just a button that needs sewing, sometimes the hem needs hand sewing, sometimes I sew in sleeves into the neck hole and get so annoyed by myself that I need to put it aside, or else...

So, this nice 50s style dress made from skull cotton was lying there for at least a year.Actually, I have no idea when I last touched it! ^^The dress had several issues:
  1. I cut the front while sewing an serger seam. D'Oh!
  2. I wanted to line it with thin silk. Pretty fabric with a great feel, but thin and annoying to sew...
  3. The outlook to some hand sewing. Oh, how I like hand sewing! *snort*
I somehow managed to rip out the serger seams of the front piece before I put the dress aside unfinished. On Sunday I did the last parts. I inserted a zip, hemmed the dress and painstakingly hand sewed the lining in. And now I present the finished piece:

 photo ST831753_zps5ebb0e6e.jpg

 photo ST831752_zps0af0ef31.jpg

 photo ST831754_zpsd49b1e88.jpg

 photo ST831755_zps01ee316d.jpg

 photo ST831756_zps00752d7e.jpg

6 comments:

Insomniac’s Attic said...

**cough** I actually have a damask box in my sewing room labelled Unfinished Projects. That's bad if you actually label the box, right? Some of the things in there are over 40 years old.

Good that you got around to that lovely dress before it went out of style! :D

MindLess said...

@ Insomniac’s Attic: I didn't label the box (yet) as I still somehow hope that the UFO stash will one day be depleted... And thanks for the compliment! ^^

graverobbergirl said...

The dress turned out nice!

I have a pile of 'repairs' I never get to (mostly off-the-rack items with holes or in need of alterations). I also have a 50s style dress I tossed aside a couple years ago because I didn't like how the cuffs turned out and need to fix them.

MindLess said...

@ graverobbergirl: Yeah, let's just not talk about the repairs pile... *blush* I'd love to see the 50's style dress you are talking about, maybe you can try to finish it soon?

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Very cute summer dress! Also, I have been reading your posts before this and I agree, I am also not made to withstand hot weather! Summer can get very frustrating!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan_Butterfly: Thank you! Currently the weather in Germany has cooled down, so the temperatures are great (15-20°C) for me...