Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 3 – When did you come out the Goth closet?

Today's question is actually a little longer
When did you come out the Goth closet? (If you didn't then simply discuss the topic)
I was never in a closet. I simply wore what I liked and never cared much about other people's opinions. I listened to the music I liked and wore more eyeliner than was good for me, but my mum never said anything about this. I was not very nice during puberty, so maybe these things were not on her radar? But she was always nice to the metal friends I brought home (which sometimes didn't like showering and looked rather scary), never complained about any clothes I wore and even allowed me on festivals when I was young. My mum was the best!

So what can I say about coming out of the closet? I'd like to give some tips what to do, but I don't have any. I never had to do this and since my environment was very tolerant, I never heard of anyone who did not dare to live his/her life the way they wanted... I can only link to Gothic Charm School, where the Lady of the Manners has many posts centered around this topic: Link

6 comments:

Shannon Rutherford said...

Wow... every parent should be like your mum! This is exactly how a parent should "react" to a goth kid: not reacting at all! In fact, there's nothing weird about being a goth, that's just a choice of style and music, so it's really not a big deal, and shouldn't be treated as one :)

MindLess said...

@ Shannon Rutherford: Yeah, nowadays I think my mum is amazing. Just at that time during puberty I was not apprecating that amazingness and was embarassed by her like every other teenager...

Geist Katze said...

I love Gothic Charm School - lots of great advice there. My parents aren't very accepting still to this day - they associate all the black with "evil" and negativity even though I've been very successful and don't get in trouble, do drugs, etc. They wish I would hang out with less "dark" people, too. Maybe one day they'll realize it's not a phase.

MindLess said...

@ Geist Katze: Gothic Charm School is amazing, I love how Jillian Venter wears all this cool stuff to the office! I have stricter regulations at work (I work in a Psychiatry, so no skulls or offensive prints for me), but I love her style!

The older I get the more I realise how amazing my mum is. I never realized how cool she was when I was younger, I just found it hard during my rebellious phase to provoke her at all. My mum has nerves of steel! ^^

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

I unfortunately ended up in a job that hires only very conservative looking people so I ended up kind of going BACK INTO the closet when I was never in it in the first place!

I just got back from a trip to Germany and it seems to me that people there don't make as big of a deal over people who dress alternatively which is awesome!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan Butterfly: Same for me, I'm currently "back in the closet", but I understand that the people in the psychiatry might react strongly to skulls and dark images...

Where in Germany have you been? Did you like it? I'd love to visit Canada one day in future!