Thursday, July 18, 2013

Victorian skirt

Yesterday I felt a bit better than the day before and felt able to do a little sewing. And by a little sewing I meant: Cut and sew a Victorian skirt. I originally planned to visit the Amphi festival next weekend, but I'm not sure if my health would be to happy about the stress that a festival always brings. On the other hand, if I'll go, I want to wear appropriate outfits! ^^

So anyway, I was bored out of my mind and decided to sew a skirt. I had this fabric for quite some time now, I bought it back together with the green satin for the 1860's crinoline. The colour is a very deep wine and it looks great with my hair. I had seven meters, which I thought enough for skirt and over skirt.

 photo ST831729_zps6ac11571.jpg

 photo ST831728_zps4ec6bb40.jpg

The pattern was based on the Burda pattern 7880 but very much adapted. I added a little train and a ruffle border which I hemmed and ruffled with the new serger. Also, in the Kanzashi making frenzy, I added some of the prettier flowers to the border between skirt and ruffle:

 photo ST831740_zps512071ee.jpg

6 comments:

Ms Misantropia said...

Did you catch something, or do you live with some kind of illness? Either way, I hope you feel well enough to attend the festival - it sounds like fun!

MindLess said...

@ Ms Misantropia: I'm not chronically ill, I just temporally caught something bad! I too hope that I'll be fit enough for Amphi. And if not, there will be another one next year!

ette said...

I hope that you will be better soon and be able to visit the Amphi.
The skirt is lovely, the colour of the fabric ist great. Do you have already a top to wear with it or will you make a new one, too?
And you plan to wear a crinoline to a festival? Don't you have fears of ruining it?

MindLess said...

@ ette: Thanks, sweetie! I don't have a specific top made for this outfit, but I guess I'll just pick one of my gazillion corsets and use that. It will be too warm for a real taille anyway! ^^

I don't fear ruining it, it find it worse to have nice clothes that I never wear. Actually, all clothes I own are machine washed (except corsets) and will be worn do dirty events including sitting in the grass or even an occational trip into rivers or seas! ;) I "abuse" my garments, that's why I don't buy real historical dresses like you...

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Gorgeous! I love the Kanazashi flowers. I am going to try to learn how to make those!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan_Butterfly: The kanzashis are rather easy once you figured out how much fabric you have to cut from the bottom. Go ahead and show what you made! ^^