Friday, July 19, 2013

Victorian Skirt II

Since I sewed the skirt pattern of Burda 7880 quite some times now, the work went relatively quick. Actually, the main time investment was cutting the fabric (I usually add some length for a little train and have to occupy both living room and the hallway at the same time) and sewing on the flowers. Plus I didn't have any decorative over skirt to go with the skirt. Which means that after the skirt, I made an additional apron for the front and a bustle for the back. Call me crazy! ^^

For the apron I used the pattern from Burda again as it might not be historically correct, but doesn't eat much fabric and looks nice. I made the apron from the fake raw silk I also used for Madame Cherié. I added a ruffly border which I bought from a Chinese Ebay seller for less than 1 Euro per Meter!

 photo ST831741_zps6b0889d7.jpg

 photo ST831742_zps28680025.jpg

I also used my very first decorative stitch on a garment! (See? It totally made sense to buy the more expensive sewing machine with all the additional stitches I never use! ;) )

 photo ST831746_zps78378a4c.jpg

The back bustle was made without any pattern. I just made a huge half circle out of the remaining fabric and rushed this by hand. The waistband was machine sewn again, but the machine ruffles were too small for my liking and waistband. Again, I used the ruffly border to pull the whole outfit together:

 photo ST831731_zpsc48f0c6f.jpg

 photo ST831735_zps9625550f.jpg

 photo ST831736_zps4ae2c2cc.jpg

And finally, I added those d*mned Kanzashis again (are you sick of them yet?!). I hot-glued them to leftover pieces of fabric and added safety pins at the back. Now I can use the flowery pieces to drape the bustle!

 photo ST831733_zps4ca666f2.jpg

Now keep your fingers crossed that I can buy an Amphi ticket tomorrow at the venue so I have an occasion to wear this outfit! Maybe I should start planning a little earlier next time?! ^^

10 comments:

Bane said...

Very pretty! I like the decorative stitch. :D

MindLess said...

@ Bane: Thank you! I now remeber why I don't use them much: They take forever! ^^

Geist Katze said...

I have always admired those who can sew! That is gorgeous. My mother used to sew all of her own clothes but I never got the sewing bug - I have other crafty hobbies, though.

MindLess said...

@ Geist Katze: Sewing is not that hard, I can't understand why so many people feel intimidated by it! My mum also sews, but we are both far away from creating our whole wardrobe. I mainly sew festival and gothic clothes because they are usually so expensive...

Neisella Nightmare said...

Ein Nürchen <3
Gefällt mir gut! Hat es mit dem Ticket geklappt? Gesehen habe ich euch nämlich leider nicht Vor Ort wurden Tickets (von privat) für 80 Schleifen angeboten...

MindLess said...

@ Neisi: Leider war Sebi zu pleite und alleine hatte ich nicht so viel Lust, wir habe es also gar nicht versucht... War schon ein bisschen sauer auf Menne, weil er sich diesen Monat 2 Turniere leisten kann, aber kein Festival mit mir. -.-

Geist Katze said...

I took a sewing class when I was about 13 - you're right it wasn't that hard. I think I was turned off by having to buy a sewing machine, fabric, patterns, etc. and seemed like it could be an expensive hobby.

MindLess said...

@ Geist Katze: I can see how the costs can turn you off. My first sewing machine cost me a sixpack of beer! And I know all the cheap fabric stores around...

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

You are inspiring me to get back into sewing! I used to sew stuff, but I am terrible at it. I am going to hopefully take a few classes.....I have a few patterns for a long skirt and overcoat hanging around that I would love to make!

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan_Butterfly: I also have times where I don#t touch the sewing machine for months. But it is so much cheaper and more individual than buying gothic clothes, so I always come back! ^^

A class can really help you figuring out the problems of you pattern. At least for me, most things don't fit right in the beginning...