Friday, June 14, 2013

Week in Review 24/2013

What did I see?
I finally saw Star Trek - Into Darkness and have to say: I'm not impressed. A nice action movie (although some action takes were too fast paced for me, I couldn't follow the action there) with a lot of colours and a nice evil rival. But the original second movie of the Star Trek Universe is so much better with the essentially same story.

What did I listen to?
The Theme to Game of Thrones.

What did I ask myself?
Will anyone notice if I cut back my hours? I don't think so!


What did I read?
After finding out that the German version of a Song of Fire and Ice is essentially BS (they split all the books in two and charge double), I send them back to Amazon and read the English ones. No I actually finished the first (A Game of Thrones) and second (A Clash of Kings) English novel and I'm midway in the third (A Storm of Swords) - please don't spoil the story for me yet!

What did I work on?
The PhD thesis is almost in print now. I'm so excited!

I was happy about...
Soon I'm gonna be a PhD! Unless I really mess up, but I don't think so... ^^


I was annoyed about...
Why did the doctor have to leave my arms green and blue?



I bought...
A serger (Gritzner Overlock 788). I'm in love!

8 comments:

Lynoire said...

Cute post, fun concept! ^^

I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness this week too, but I liked it. Well, I admit, I didn't expect much, I knew it will be full of cliches and that all the spectculqt CGI scenes will take their toll on the story telling...but I think it was entertaining.

Congrats on the PhD thesis! :)

MindLess said...

@ Lynoire: Yes, the colours and ideas in the alien worlds (and especially the first alien culture) were amazing. But why does every actor have to be so overly emotional and cry all the time?

Thanks for the congrats, I'm so happy!

Shannon Rutherford said...

They split the ASoIAF books in the italian version, too! ASOS and ADWD were even split in three. And what really bothers me is that, while the english books cost 27-30€, they make us pay the first edition of these parts like 20€. I always end up for cheaper editions, but if someone wanted to read them as soon as they're published in Italy, they would end up paying the whole book like twice its price. That's insane.
By the way, the book you're reading's probably the best of the entire saga; enjoy it :D.

MindLess said...

@ Shannon Rutherford: Same in Germany, each book of the two that make the english version costs as much as the english one! And I hardly stop reading, my boyfriend already is annoyed! The book is so good!

Lynoire said...

@MindLess: Yeah, you're right, that argument between Spock and Uhura on the shuttle freaked me out...actually, Uhura just freaks me out...

MindLess said...

@ Lynoire: I think the actor of spock is pretty good, but Uhura never seemed that mportant in the original series. She never contributed as much to the plot.

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Oooh, congrats on the upcoming PhD!! I really loved Star Trek: Into Darkness and I am super glad that the newest movies use the original series characters.

MindLess said...

@ Vulcan_Butterfly: I find the actor for Spock pretty impressive, but otherwise I prefer the original series...