Monday, April 1, 2013

Visiting the skull cult exhibition

Yesterday, I visited the "Schädelkult" (= Skull cult) exhibition in Herne. I noticed the flyer (purple! with a skull!) at the Sea Life and since the exhibition will close at 14.4.2013, we went this weekend. The entry is free this and the next weekend, so if I made you curious, just go ahead and see the skulls for yourself!


The exhibition is centred about skulls and what they mean to different cultures. A very Gothic topic, as many of the cults were centered around getting in touch with death - your own or your beloved ones. They show crystal skulls (a replicate as all the ones that were attributed to the Maya), sugar skulls from the Mexican Day of the Dead, shrunken heads, carved skulls...


There was even a part of the exhibition dedicated to human skull development, brains and skull deformations that were in fashion during the ages. I personally was not aware, that women around 1000 b.c. formed their head conically to get a longer -fashionable- forehead!


I really liked the exhibition and can only recommend it. And if you go there, bring me some of these great but expensive chairs and Schnaps in skull bottles!

 photo 20130331_162029_zpsde574d5c.jpg
 photo 20130331_162047_zps224cfdb4.jpg

7 comments:

MmePolaire said...

I'm so jealous, seriously SO JEALOUS of you seeing this exhibition! Glad you had a great time though!
I saw this vodka bottle in the duty free last night - http://crystalheadvodka.com/

linnea-maria said...

What an interesting exhibition! Those chairs in the last picture are adorable, cute in a way.

Divine Obscurity said...

Oh that's fascinating! I'm so jealous, it must have been really interesting! Love those bottles.

Insomniac's Attic said...

What Mme. Polaire said - so jealous right now. But glad you got to see it, anyway. Why am I never travelling when all the great exhibits are on!

And I NEED one of those bottles for my schnapps! :D

MindLess said...

@ MmePolaire: Wow, what a great vodka bottle! I usually don't drink vodka, but the bottle is awesome! Was it expensive?

@ linnea-maria: Aren't they? But they were 99 Euros and I was traveling by train... I'm considering going there by car to get one, though!

@ Divine Obscurity: Maybe you can still get the chance, I saw that the exhibition is traveling. It started in Mannheim, now it was in Herne, but I don't know where it will go next!

@ Insomniac's Attic: I think they look best with dark liqour, but maybe you can get the crystal vodka more easily? Then you could use those bottles...

MmePolaire said...

The large bottle of vodka was about $80 and the smaller about $60. My mum wanted to buy one for me for Christmas, but as I do not drink vodka it was pointless. I'm keeping my eye out for one at a thrift store!

MindLess said...

@ MmePolaire: Wow, that is much more expensive than the 15 Euros per bottle for the skull bottles at the exhibition! Maybe I should get back there and buy a bottle (although the schnapps is blackberry flavoured which I don't like)?