Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Books - This or That? Tag

On the blog of Divine obscurity (who does excellent make up reviews especially on Illamasqua), I saw a tag about books. Since I love reading, I'd like to answer the same questions:

Audio books or book in hand?

Depends on the occasion. I listen to audio books while sewing, as I don't have free hands and love the entertainment. If I only focus on the books, I prefer books in hand as I tend to fall asleep during listening to audio books with nothing to occupy my hands...

Soft or hard cover?

I don't care. I also don't care whether my books look read or troubled. I buy them to read,not to look fancy!

Fiction or non-fiction?

I read a lot of non fiction for work and for sewing. But to relax, I prefer fiction.

Fantasy word or real-life issues?

Definitively fantasy. Reading is slipping from this world into another and living a separate life until the story stops. I don't want to live another simple life in this world!

Harry Potter or Twilight?

Harry Potter.
"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." -Robin Browne

Kindle, iPad or other?

I do have an Kindle and use it more that I thought. I read fast and always have to carry large and heavy books with me, so I enjoy always having enough to read but carrying only 400g. But at home I prefer to turn the pages, literally!

Borrow or buy?

Both. I grew up on borrowed books from the library and the excessive book stashes my mum and aunt have. I'm used to reading books second or third hand. But I also buy new books, which then wander through my mum's and aunt's book shelves...

Book store or buy online?

It depends. If I want to buy a German book or browse for inspiration, I go to a book store. If I'm looking for an English book, I usually don't have that much luck here. So I use the Ama***n store.

Standalone or series?

I prefer standalone or series that are already finished. I hate waiting for the next novel of the series. And usually, the first book of a series is the best.

Monster read or short and sweet?

The bigger the better. I read 400-500 pages a day. Enough said...

Starry eyed romance or full of action?

I'm not that much into romance. I prefer action or good fiction or crime stories.

Curl up in your snuggie or lay in the sun?

Both. I like reading at the beach or on the lawn. But usually I read at home, either on the couch or in bed. But I also read when I go somewhere by public transport. Or on the stationary bike in the gym. Anywhere. 

Hot chocolate or latte?

Since I don't drink coffee, I prefer the hot chocolate.

Read the review or decide for yourself?

Sometimes a blog I read publishes a book review and if I like what I see, I buy the book. But usually I go by recommendations of friends or I judge a book by it's cover and read it because I like the outside and the short description.

If you like this tag, feel free to grab it and answer the questions!

4 comments:

Shannon Rutherford said...

>"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."

Exactly. Or better: Twilight teaches teens that their lives have absolutely no sense UNLESS they have a rich hot boyfriend. They don't need to have interests or friends or whatever, as long as they have a rich, hot boyfriend.
Oh, and it's also ok for the rich hot boyfriend to stalk you, manipulate you and hurt you. 'cause he's rich and hot, I guess?

MindLess said...

@ Shannon Rutherford: You are so right! Edward stalks Bella, decides about her life and brutally hurts her all the time. And she just endures it "for true love". That is not how teenagers should experience or read about while they are trying to find their way through life!

Divine Obscurity said...

You are so right about Twilight, that was the vibe that I got from it too. I agree with you about fantasy, it's great to just be completely captivated by another world!

MindLess said...

@ Divine Obscurity: Escaping reality into another wonderful world is so much better than all the non-fictional stuff I read for work every day. And I love the harry potter novels, I think I read them 3 times already.