Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A simple jersey dress?

I detected an awful lack of comfortable black jersey dresses in my stash and decided to use up a bit of the jersey I still had at home.

 photo ST831601_zpse074dee4.jpg

I made the pattern myself which was not very hard to do:
  • I traced a well-fitting sleeveless shirt -front and back- for the top part and cut it just below my bust (of course leaving a seam allowance!)
  • Next I just draw from the top part in a wide rectangle form (again: Folks, don't forget about seam- and hem allowances! I tired that and ended up with a long top that doesn't cover my ass... -.-)
  • At last I cut a strip of jersey that was 4cm wide and about 1.2m long to use as fake seam binding
I started sewing one shoulder seam with the overlock. Then I sewed the fake seam binding strip to the neck with the overlock. After closing the second shoulder seam, I serged on the fake bias binding to both arm holes. Now you just close the side seams. If you are lazy, you are done now. For a fancy finish of the hem, get out your twin needle and hem the dress. And you are done in almost no time!

2 comments:

Wollmaus said...

Das war der Geistesblitz, den ich für mein Kleid brauchte: der Ausschnittsversäuberungsstreifen lässt sich ja auch direkt mit der Overlock annähen! Wenn ich dich nicht hätte...

MindLess said...

@ Wollmaus: Wenn es einen faulen Weg gibt, kenne ich den! ^^