Monday, January 21, 2013

Party hard, party hard! Historical ball robe

This Saturday, I will visit a historical ball near Cologne. I know I have some outfits lying around that I could wear, but I made up my mind and wanted to sew something new and fancy for this occasion. At first I wanted to go for yet another tornure, but fabric restraints and the request to see me in a crinoline by *wollmaus* made me head for the 1860s with their wide round crinolines and small tailles. At first I did some research:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I quickly found out that I'm not a fan of large sleeves but Janet Arnold seems to me always a little late on fashion (I don't know if I'm more "up to date" by using french fashion plates as inspiration, but it feels like that), so I decided to skip them. Instead I plan to put some ruffles around my neckline.

I'm leaving the matching corset to be optional (depending how much time I have left) because the taille will have boning in it. It can be laced and seemingly some tailles were worn without a corset underneath.

In the end some other pictures from the web grabbed my attention:

Photobucket

The two upper pictures are my inspirations. Since I can't draw for the sake of my life, I'm not doing any more sketches and will head right to the fabric I bought in advance:

Photobucket

It's a wonderful deep green satin (poly something, but with a nice hand and drape) that I got for 3 Euros per meter. I bought the rest of the fabric, but it was only 5m. Therefor a tornure with nice drapings was simply not possible...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also have some matching feathers for a head, some white satin gloves (which are necessary to be historically correct) and started to make matching jewelry. Wish me luck that I can make it until Saturday and don't have to go to the ball naked or in old clothes! *gasp*

8 comments:

Xanthy said...

Oh, I know how you feel, I've spent most of the weekend working to make sure my dress was ready in time. I made it, sort of, kind of...

I'm very interested to see the end result!

Insomniac's Attic said...

Good Lord, you're going to have it done by Saturday? That would take me weeks and weeks and weeks and ... :D

Nachtkatze said...

Hach, ich freu mich auf Euch :) Und ich komm so gar nicht historisch...

linnea-maria said...

Oh dear! Only a few days left :S I hope you will make it in time and please share some photos later :)

graverobbergirl said...

Good luck! Can't wait to see the result!

MindLess said...

@ Xanthy: You will be there, too? Looking forward to meet you! And to your outfit! ^^

@ Insomniac's Attic: I'll simply have to make it in time! I was so lazy, I know that I will be at the ball since more than on month. And now I'll have to do it in this week...

@ Nachtkatze: Ich mich auch! Und bin gespannt was du tolles trägst... *knuddel*

@ linnea-maria: If I don't finish in time I will improvise and wear something old. But I hope I can wear my 1860s crinoline!

@ graverobbergirl: If you keep your fingers crossed, I'll definetely wear my new dress for Saturday. You are the queen of quick sewing!

ette said...

Wow, until saturday? I hope you will make it in time.
And it is a great project, I love the colours.
Yes, Janet Arnold 's books deal with robes that are still existant, so they often don't match the highly fashionable dresses we see in pictures. I had a similar feeling when searching for an Empire-robe-pattern a few days ago.And as you mentioned, she used English fashion, which can differ significantly from the French.

MindLess said...

@ ette: Thanks for your expert input! I will not be 100% historically accurate - by using polysatin and a bought crinoline impossible- but I hope I get the look right...

And I really like Janet Arnolds, because the patterns are great, but I much rather refer to the dating on the marquise website. Which I can only recommend, it is great!