Friday, January 4, 2013

Everyday Victorian Jacket

For this year's Meeting with the Natron and Soda folks on the Christmas market in Essen, I decided to go in historical clothes. The beautiful Nachtkatze inspired me to do this when she presented her historical outfit which she wore for another Christmas market.

After deciding to do the outfit Victorian style, I knew I needed a warm jacket and a skirt. I used the Burda tornure pattern I already had at home and some wool fabric I bought on the fabric market with Nachtkatze. I only had 1.2m, but it was barely enough! I'm really grateful I marked all the changes I needed to do for proper fit from the last jacket, because I remember how much I hated fitting it. After three wadders, I produced a WGT outfit and this jacket which both fit good!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The buttons were bought in Münster together with Neisella when we visited the secret fabric seller hidden in the outskirts of Münster. I really love the pattern, but now I only have 3 of each colour left... Oh, and could you all please admire the wonderfull button holes my new sewing machine makes? They are close up worthy, aren't they!?

Photobucket

4 comments:

graverobbergirl said...

Nice work. Love the buttons. And, yes, I am jealous of your buttonholes! My machine does fine, but they're always a little ragged looking after you open the holes up and work the buttons through...

MindLess said...

Thanks! The ragged looking buttonholes were a reason why I never showed close ups of them before. Buttonholes from mechanical sewing machines never were this pretty, at least mine...

linnea-maria said...

Amazing that you managed to sew that jacket of only 1.2 m! Out looks wonderful. When i sewed a lot of 40's clothes, i sewed the buttonholes by hand, it is really worth the little extra time it takes.

MindLess said...

I never learned to sew button holes by hand, but given my avoidance of hand sewing in general, this is probably no surprise! Maybe I should learn this someday. But not in the near future... ^^