Monday, December 3, 2012

New Baby ^^

No, it's not what you think! But My sewing machine is really acting up lately: Eating fabric, not doing zig zag stitches, not doing buttonholes... And since it was rather old, I didn't want to invest any more money into a sewing machine which doesn't have all the features I was looking for anyway! So I made a list of things I want/need:
  1. Zig zag stitch
  2. 1step button hole - which means I needed to buy an digital rather than a mechanic sewing machine
  3. Long stitches for tacking, because I don't do this by hand
  4. not more than 500 Euro
And this is what I got:

Photobucket
My new Brother Innov-is 30!

I was actually a bit swooned by the Bernina Bernette 25 as well, which has almost the same features and looks a bit better in my eyes. But I read an independent test on both machines and they mentioned that the Brother makes less noise - which means more late sewing for me!- and better buttonhole performance for the brother. Besides my requirements, this machine offers:
  • automatic needle threading - which I'm sure I won't use much
  • sewing without a pedal - which I don't like but it's optional. Plus it lets the machine do button holes while you drink coffee/tea
  • different speed settings - nice for the boyfriend who sews much slower than me and always had troubles with the pedal
  • a bunch of decorative stitches - which I think I will rarely use, but well, maybe I will?!
By now I can say that I'm very happy! The machine is indeed much quieter than my old one and has beautiful stitching. I already tested 5 decorative stitches (the ones with curves, which show how good stitch placement is)  and 2 buttonholes - all were perfect! And the machine cost 460 Euro (including shipping), which is only 10 Euro more than the Brother Innov-is 20 which has less stitches but the same built. I think I can recommend this machine!

8 comments:

Nachtkatze said...

Ich gratuliere zum neuen Baby :)
Ich hätt ja schwören können, dass du dich für die Bernina entscheidest *g* Aber die Brother klingt wirklich gut

Niniel-Chan said...

Hmm, bei Computernähmaschinen bin ich ja immer etwas skeptisch...aber diese ganzen Zierstiche sind ja zum dahinschmelzen *__*

MindLess said...

@ Nachtkatze: Ja, es war ein enges Rennen. Aber die Brother (oder zumindest die 20, also den kleineren Bruder) konnte ich testnähen. Und sie war flüsterleise und hat so toll genäht...

@ Nini: Ja, war ich auch. Mir macht vor allem zu schaffen, dass an dieser Maschine die Elektronik spinen kann und ich nichts dagegen tun. Bei den mechanischen kann man immer noch schauen ob was nicht greift und das zur Not zurecht biegen. Aber sie ist leiser und ich wollte unbedingt die tollen Knopflöcher. *seufz*

Insomniac's Attic said...

It's so nice to get a new machine, isn't it? My Pfaff was so old, I finally couldn't get parts for it any more so I ended up getting a new Pfaff with all the fancy stitches. None of which I use, except I love the automatic buttonhole option! Enjoy your new machine!! :D

MindLess said...

@ Insomniac's Attic: Yes, I suddenly want to sew all the time! It's strange how one can make things work for such a long time, but when you finally buy a new machine everything is just so much easier...

Trisha said...

*____*

ohhh!!

Wollmaus said...

Boah, klasse, herzlichen Glückwunsch!

Ich mag an meiner Bernina, dass sie so schwer ist. Der gesamte Unterbau ist aus Metall, das heißt, sie bewegt sich von alleine kein Stück über den Tisch.

Ein guter Handwerker braucht gutes Werkzeug. Viel Spaß damit!

MindLess said...

@ Trisha: Jaaaaaa! ^^

@ Wollmaus: Ja, das vermisse ich ein bisschen. Meine Alte war ja auch aus Metall und ist selbst beim Mittelaltermantel nicht vom Tisch gehopst. Mit der Brother hab ich noch nichts schweres genäht, kann dazu also nichts sagen. Und ich wollte ja ein ein-Stufen-Knopfloch... Musste also ne elektronische sein.