Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Itsy-bitsy spider clock

Our kitchen clock is rather boring. When I recently checked some Halloween tumblrs, I saw the following clock which was modified. And I thought "Well, I can do that, too!"...

 Inspiration from here.

what you will need:
Paper
Sharpie
Any clock (I used an IKEA Clock (2 Euro))
Scotch tape
Plastic beetles/spiders
Hot glue gun

Photobucket

I have to say from the beginnig that I used the clock above only for inspiration. My clock was also smaller so I included less spiders. I started by opening the clock - simply by popping the lid of. I used the clear plastic casing as a guide for circle size. Then I made lines for orienation, otherwise the numbers end up at wonky places!

Photobucket

Next step was to draw a spiderweb. I used a ruler for the straight radiant lines and added the web free hand. I did a pen sketch first and used a black liner to make the lines more prominent.

Photobucket

Since I found the numbers a little bit to small (our clock hangs above the door, so small numbers would harden it to read the correct time), I made them a bit bigger and used Edding to make them more bold.

Photobucket

Now you only need to cut a line to the middle and cut a little circle for the clock hands, then insert the new drawing into the clock:

Photobucket

One crucial step is to use invisible tape to close the cut again. Otherwise you will end up with one hand of the clock hidden under the paper and not moving anymore... You can see this here in my first trial version:

Photobucket

Just use a little strip of tape and you are set for the future!

Photobucket

Now add the clear lid again and you are mostly done. I glued on some plastic spiders for the fun of it. I used the hot glue gun with success, but any glue for plastics would work here I guess.

Photobucket

Hang the clock and admire your work!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Wollmaus said...

Uah, ich würde jeden Morgen als erstes die Spinnen durchzählen, damit sich nicht unbemerkt eine dazuschummelt! brrrrr.

Die Uhr ist klasse geworden, ich muss mir für unsere auch mal was einfallen lassen.

Neise||a said...

SAU! GEIL! Richtig cool! Macht sich bestimmt auch mit nem Schwarm Fledis gut?!

MindLess said...

@ Wollmaus: Ach, da mach ich mir wenig Sorgen. Die Spinnen sehen nicht soooo echt aus. Und danke, ich hab ja quasi nur eine geklaute Idee nachgebastelt...

@ Neisi: Ja, Fledis wären auch super! Wobei ich da die Zahlen bunt machen würde, sonst gehen die in den Fledis unter...

Trisha said...

hihihiiiii, voll gut!

MindLess said...

@ Trisha: Danke! Und so einfach, hätte ich längst mal machen können... ;)