Wednesday, November 21, 2012

WGT 2013 - 7 sins Gluttony

This year for WGT, I'll do something different. I agreed already this year, that I would participate in a group outfit. On Saturday, we will visit the Natron and Soda Community picknick dressed as the biblical seven sins (or at least our interpretation of this topic).When we talked about this topic, the first thought I had in mind was that a modern interpretation of Marie Antoinette's saying "Let them eat cake!" and her bourgeoisie life style would make a great interpretation of Gluttony. Another thing that instantly came to my mind was cake, especially Black Forrest cake with the traditional gothy colour combination of black, red and white I was actually the first to claim a sin for herself - wow, that makes me sound evil, right? - and here is my first sketch:


You might have noticed by now that I can't draw for the sake of my life. The Robe a la francaise I used to copy from was in the book "Patterns of fashion" by Janet Arnold which is a great resource for historical sewing and heartily recommended! I morphed together several patterns until I liked the style and added some details myself... In the beginning I though about doing a Robe Anglaise without the Watteu plaits in the back, but came back to them after I checked Marie Antoinettes style. Plus, I could always cut them out when I don't like them on me, anyway.
The fabrics will be red and black taffeta, with white satin trim (as seen in the Internet shopping haul) and white lace sleeves. I will use the red diamond buttons as a sort of cherries in the Black Forrest dress. The corset cover will be trimmed with red glittery stones of several sizes for the "cherry filling". On my head I will wear a wig (probably with wire mesh underneath for stability?) with cakes and sweets. Artificial ones, of course! On the other hand, real cakes (from Leysieffer, yummi!) would make the outfit fit the theme even more! ^^

Inspiration:
 
made by the wonderful Steelrose

6 comments:

Alexandriaweb said...

Oh wow I can't wait to see how this turns out :)
Good luck!

Neise||a said...

Ooooh, das wird fantastisch <3

linnea-maria said...

What a great idea!! I can understand that you have to start right away with your costume after I saw your inspirational pictures. The idea with a wig and cupcakes is so nice. It will be easy to see wich sin you're portraiting :)

MindLess said...

@ Alexandriaweb: My sketches usually turn out a bit different in reality. I'm also looking forward to the real deal! ^^

@ Neisella: Danke! Wie geht es mit dem Zorn voran?

@ linnea-maria: Thanks! It is always the new projects that itch in your fingers, right? But I will wait until december, because I still have to order the fabric and to buy a new sewing machine...

Neise||a said...

Sagen wir... gar nicht :D

Little Miss Phantasm said...

A cake dress?! Awesome!! X)