Thursday, November 15, 2012

Vegan week - Day 4

Another day, another topic:
Day four: Do you miss meat/fish/dairy/eggs?
Yes, I do. As I said in the beginning, I like the easy option of roasting some veggies, adding an egg and be set for dinner. But I will in future continue to try vegan recipes and integrate them into my diet...


I especially have troubles eating enough protein. I already had problems before this challenge and it has not stopped. I'm not so keen on beans, so legumes are kind of hard for me to use as a protein source. It's not only a taste but also a consistency problem. They are so squishy-dry-floury, urgh!

I try to get along with full wheat products which not only make you feel less hungry (since the body takes longer to digest complex carbs), but also include a surprisingly large amount of protein! And they don't taste so much different. Especially if you add a sauce with some flavour like garlic!

The other option of using meat-like substances is a bit problematic in my eyes. I prefer to eat as natural as possible and if you need to make chemical changes to a natural substance to make it look like-taste like-feel like meat, I'm not so sure if I want to eat it. Did you know that Valess Schnitzel contain paste to glue wallpapers to walls? And I'm confident in the E numbers added to mock duck as well...

All in all, I still think vegan is a good thing to do. But I will probably go back to my old diet once the challenge is over...

Tuesday

Breakfast
Rye bread with vegan spread

Lunch
Orange
McDonalds fries (sorry, we were in the Netherlands and I had troubles finding something vegan)

Snack
Kiwi
Apple

Dinner
Peas
Chili sin Carne

4 comments:

Neise||a said...

Iiiiiih.... jetzt will ich keine Valess-Schnitzel mehr!

MindLess said...

Es ist ja nicht per se ungesund. Aber ich finde sowas halt unnötig! Da ess ich lieber ein Spiegelei, da weiß ich genau, was drin ist...

Trisha said...

hmm, "Fleischersatz" muss nicht immer chemie sein. seitan ist nichts anderes als gewaschenes mehl mit gewürzen. aber ich kauf meins auch nur im bio laden, da sind keine E's drin xD

kann man, btw sogar sehr einfach selber machen (auf youtube gibt's tolle tutoprials)..

und valess schmeckt auch wie Tapetenkleister, das wundert mich weniger xD

MindLess said...

@ Trisha: Ja, ich weiß dass es auch naturbelassene "Fleischersatz"-Produkte gibt. Und ich weiß auch, dass man vieleis selber machen kann. Die Frage ist halt nur, hab ich die zusätzliche Zeit um das zu machen?

Ich will echt nicht negativ klingen, aber für mich ist vegan sein Arbeit. Ich muss dauernd nach Alternativen suchen und gucken, ob die schmecken und gesund sind. Ich mag Eier und Milch. Und Käse. Ich will niemandem seine Entscheidung zu vegan/vegetarisch/omnivor absprechen, aber ich fühle mich vegan nicht wohl.