Thursday, November 15, 2012

Burda Style 12/2012

Is this month over already? Time really seems to fly this year and I have yet to find an issue of Burda I actually buy... Thank goth that Neisella  is a regular subscriber so I can ask her for any pattern I really need and deem not worth 4.5 Euros...
But back on topic. I'm actually looking forward to Dezember's issue since it usually contains patterns for festive dresses, coats and underwear. But this time there were no dessous? Burda, what happened? I was looking forward to buy this issue and compare it to the pattern I got from Mademoiselle Chaos... And now Burda disappoints me yet again...



The pattern I like third best this issue was a shift dress with long sleeves. It is kind of hard to see in this picture, but the darts on the bodice are very interesting and a calmer fabric would really show them off! What I also like about the pattern is that the neckline is work appropriate and the 3/4 sleeves are flattering on almsot everyone and keep you warm in winter.
And now on to my favourites which - again no surpises- are a jacket and a coat. The jacket is a fresh and young take on cooked wool fabric which tend to look "selfmade" (in a bad way, like Mommy made this for her little dolly) or "alternative" (like this 60something ladies that only wear Gudrun Sjöden). While these can look great, this pattern makes me want to wear a woolen jacket. I also saw the perfect fabric for this one two weeks ago on the fabric market. Too bad I didn't know about this pattern and didn't buy any because I had no idea what to do with it...
The pattern I liked best in this issue is a gorgeous woolen coat with a strong military inspiration. I love that it is double breasted but with only one row of buttons. It is a very pure design, so it probably fits most outfit styles, but doesn't look boring because of the asymmetry. Winner!


While the most obvious critique I have for Burda is the lack of dessous pattern (seriously, I was that dissapointed!), I also found some patterns I didn't like. They were not nearly as hideous and unflattering as those in the last few issues, but still noteworthy!
The thris worst pattern was for a dress made from sequined fabric. This alone seldom looks good, but the dress also contains a deep neckline (which Burda always does, maybe their target group is not housewife but hookers?)  and long sleeves which are horribly scratchy with sequined fabric.
Tzhe second worst is a jacket pattern which lacks any definition. There is no shaping for waistline or bust, so this looks good onl on very skinny women when worn open.
The worst pattern in my eyes is the vest pattern in the middle. Again, no shaping whatsoever. While I like the nod to the taille patterns of the victorian time by including a fake vest ending, it looks rather lost on this pattern. Plus, the colour is horrible...

2 comments:

Wollmaus said...

Deine Silbermedaille ist mein Favorit in dieser Ausgabe. Ich liebe Walkstoff und werde für das Remake meines geliebten grünen Mantels nicht nur solchen verwenden, sondern auch die Kragen/Kapuzenlösung der Jacke übernehmen.

Alles in allem bin ich von dieser Burda wirklich angenehm überrascht!

MindLess said...

@ Wollmaus: Dann bin ich mal gespannt, welche Passformprobleme du beim Burdaschnitt findest. Und wenn sie mir gefällt, nähe ich sie mir auch! Den nächsten petrolfarbenen Wollwalk lasse ich mir nicht wieder entgehen...