Monday, August 13, 2012

The professor's monthly homework - bags

This month's homework assignment from  Professeur Gothique was to show of our bags. While the Professeur moved on from pure gothic to a more rockabily style recently (and I'm a firm believer in doing stuff that makes you happy without a label), my collection looks rather gothy, I'm afraid! If you have some time and are interested in the history of arts and the impressive weight loss the Proffesseur did during this year's bat fit, I can highly recommend reading her blog. 

So, let's start with the baggy goodness! The first three bags I present here were sewn by yours truly. The rockabilly one with the tattoo print was made from leftovers after I sewed a pencil skirt. Isn't it amazing how much you can make from a measly yard of fabric?


The second bag was made from a fabric that I bought in my favourite sewing forum. I instantly fell in love with the cute kitty print, but soon after realised that I will probably never wear a garment made from this fabric... I then turned it into this handbag and a travel bag for cosmetics and tooth brush! It is lined with baby pink flanell which was leftover from my curtains...


The third bag is a zombie bag I sewed back int he day when I didn't even blog (which was before 2009. I'm getting old! ^^). It's made from pleather in two shades of purple. The pleather was a b*tch to sew, so unfortunately the outlines are not as clean as I would have liked...


Another self-sewn bag I love dearly was not sen from me. My friend Trisha made this amazing bag. Why is this amazing? Because it features a muffin print, is lined with the cutest white polkadots on baby pink and it has glitter and sweets moving freely in the flap! If I'm waiting for the bus (or if any crying children are around) this is the best past time ever!


Next we have a bag I've been lusting over since about a year when I first saw it on the tumblr of the lady of manners from Gothic Charm School. The main fabric is velvet, the sides are pleather. It is rather roomy, but I like my bags big (I don't carry small bags, it either fits in my pockets or needs a big bag anyway! ^^). It's sold by restyle.pl, but unfortunately it is currently sold out...

 

The last bag I'd like to show is my (under-) eye bag. I don't use this as often as I should, but It is kind of hard to match a bright green PVC cat eye with leopard print to any outfit! I saw this at a seller's booth on a goth market and needed to take this home. It was made by Tollkirsche which is a local designer team.


Now I'm really looking forward to see your bag collections!

10 comments:

linnea-maria said...

So nice to see your collection and you have made many of them by yourself! the muffin and the purple one are really great! I should make more handbags myself!

Shannon Rutherford said...

They're all so pretty! My favourite is the one with a muffin print <3 I also love the one from Restyle, it's a classic :D.
The ones you did yourself are very pretty, too <3 especially the one with pink hearts, it's so sweet!

Wollmaus said...

Uff, das sind doch nicht alle deine Taschen? Ich habe meine schon ausgemistet, aber es sind immernoch zu viele :(

MindLess said...

@ linnea-maria: Thanks for the compiment, when I see Trisha (who made the muffin bag) this weekend, I will tell her that you liked it! And yes, making bags is great: Not much fabric is needed, you can wear strange bags without anyone taking you not serious and they are really quick!

@ Shannon Rutherford: Thanks for the compliments! I love making bags, they are so easy... And the restyle one is probably in every goth's wardrobe, but it just looks sooo good!

@ Wollmaus: Nein, ich hab noch 2 Arbeitstaschen und einen Sportrucksack. Aber die sind nciht sooo interessant, oder? Und ein paar nicht mehr ganz so geliebte Taschen sind zu den Altkleidern gewandert. Declutter = Trennen können! ^^

kakuidori said...

ich hab schon wieder was verpasst?! naja, nächsten monat wieder ^_^

echt schicke ansammlung <3

MindLess said...

@ kakuidori: Ja, wegen der Blogumstellung hätte ich es auch fast verpasst...

Trisha said...

<3

MindLess said...

@ Trisha: <.< >.> Yay!

The Professor said...

WHAT A TALENT YOU HAVE!!! I love, adore, love the bags that you have sewn! That Zombie one is KILLER!

And thanks for the wonderful introduction to my blog. :D You are just so many kinds of sweet! :) Yeah, I'm sort of doing my own thing and loving every minute of it. As you know, a PhD can be "trying" and all-consuming to say the least.

Thanks for participating!

MindLess said...

@ The Professor: Oh wow, thank you for your nice comments on my humble creations! *blush* You are very inspiring for another PhD like me...