Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Monthly theme post - Bows

After some timeout due to her new job, Sophistique noir re-introduced her monthly theme posts. This months theme is "bows". Which is really good because I love bows! While I don't have the option to wear (most of) them at work, I try to sneak them in once in a while. My colleagues already think I dress eccentric - despite my best tries to avoid any skulls or zombie or bat motives at work - so the most neutral ones get some outing in daylight. At night I can dress up with ever changing styles and often include a bow or two...




The first two bows I show here are store bought. The one on the left was bought at WGT 2011 at the X-tra X. I usually don't buy there, but since I won a 10 Euro coupon and this bow was exactly 10 Euro, I spent it. Most of the time I'm not happy with the quality of the things bought there. And they price up the items a lot, so after a little Internet search you will usually come up with cheaper prizes. And they are notoriously late when ordering online, shoe orders can take up months to arrive...
The second bow on the right was bought at a Claire's store in Dublin on my last trip there. It's a cute little tulle bow with a glittery grey spider in the middle. Love it to wear with everyday spooky clothes!


The second set of bows are dear gifts from friends. The one on the left with a skeleton cameo was given to me by Niniel Chan. I have this serious inability to make jewelry (it's rather my impatience than having two left hands) and was always looking for a skeleton cameo bow. I saw some on etsy or Dawanda, but they were too expensive when you know that you only pay 2 Euros for 6 Cameos and have satin ribbon at home. Wile visiting Nini, I casually mentioned I liked this cameos and she just went and made me this! ^^
The right bow was a birthday present from Neisella. Again, this was a hairpiece I've always wanted but never bought. Nowadays you usually see brightly coloured Skelly hands or bright white ones. The one I got from Neisi is beautifully aged and looks just perfect!


These two bows were handmade by independent designers. As you might have noticed, the bow on the left is some years old and has seen better days. I bought this from XSparkage, who nowadays only does makeup tutorials and doesn't sell bows any more.
The second bow is bought from a local independent designer team, Tollkirsche. I bought this in a booth at some small Ruhr area festival I think. The bow itself is a black tulle layer over shiny black PVC which is really hard to photograph. The little fly agaric on top is actually flourescent, which is a nice surprise under black light!


The last two bows were made by yours truely. While the left one was a short DIY project I did the same evening I needed some pirate inspired accesoirs, the right one bears a bit more of a story.
The fabric I used for it is blood red wild silk which I got as a parting gift from a friend. Said friend was really close to me during school, but somehow we lost contact after all these years. She used the same silk for her senior prom dress which was medieval and really pretty. So everyday I wear this bow, I think of my friend and all the fun we had together!

6 comments:

MadamNoire said...

Oh! I think I fell in love with the spider-bow in the first picture! :O But, of course, all the bows are very pretty! ^_^

/Noire

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

These are so cute! I especially love the one with the skeleton cameo, and the two hand-made ones in the last photo. Thanks for sharing in today's theme!

MindLess said...

@ Madame Noire: The Spider bow is really nice and was cheap as well. I'm really looking forward to this year's halloween items already!

@ Sophistique Noir: Thanks for offering us bloggers an opportunity to get to know each other over your monthly theme posts!

kakuidori said...

tolle ansammlung :-D

Caitlin said...

That is a lovely and impressive collection of bows. I need to get my DIY on.

MindLess said...

@ kakuidori: Danke! ^^

@ Caitlin: Thanks for the compliment! I'm not that good in frickly stuff, so I can assure you that Bows are quite easy...