Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Minimalistic? Me?!

*Sorry, some deep thinking ahead. If you want to skip to merrier posts about clothes and sewing, return tomorrow, please!*

Inspired by my friend *Wollmaus*,  I recently started to reevaluate my life. Not just every aspect, but the materialistic parts. I know for a long time that possesions can weigh you down. Of course it is nice to have stuff at hand when you need it. Of course I like to dress a different dress every now and then. But on the other hand, clutter can take over your life. Your flat. Your stash.
I'm a bit torn between hording lovely fabrics and notions and keeping my room cleand and spacey enoguh to work and live there. Between sewing great robes to wear (not only at WGT, but our closeby disco Matrix also allows for decent overdressing) and having no place to store them. Between dressing gothy on weekends and "normal" during the working week, which requires more or less separate wardrobes which take up space in your closet, or reducing stuff down to one wardrobe...

Link to source
I try to fight the packrat tendencies I inherited from my mum. And I'm quite confident that I go the right path. I don't have much clutter on my book shelves. I reduce my electronic and othe kitchen gadgets to the ones I use and love.



But again, certain items will be collected. I love my extensive book collection and with a bibliophile boyfriend we have 4 big Billy shelves. And it might already be time for another one... In this area I will not reduce stash. I put some bad books into the open book shelf (my city has one in front of the theatre were everyone is free to bring and take books as they like), but the ones I love and might re-read will stay. I'm no fan of electronic books, I like the feel and smell of real books.


What about my wardrobe? I roam through it every once in a while (every 3-4 months, actually) and pare down on stuff I don't wear anymore or never wore. *Wollmaus* said that she puts out everything that she didn't wear for another six month after her last stash reduction. Which is not feasible for me when it comes to gothic clothes. Sometimes I fall in love with a skirt I haven't worn for years...

cleaned out two of these, despite the thoughts above...

And what about stuff like the steampunk coat or my regency outfit? I doubt I will re-wear them anytime soon. I will try to utilise the room under my bed (which is not big since the kitchen floor takes up half of it and there is also a suitcase full of fabrics). I already started sewing bags for the clothes from leftover fabrics and will store them in hope I will not forget about them.

Any other suggestions?

7 comments:

Niniel-Chan said...

Hm, ich find es total interessant sowas bei anderen zu lesen und zu verfolgen aber für mich selbst kann ich das alles leider nie wirklich umsetzen...

Ich sortiere zwar auch regelmäßig Dinge wie Accessoires und Szene Klamotten aus und stelle Kram bei Tauschticket ein. Aber im großen und ganzen liebe ich es zu sehr viele schöne Dinge auch zu besitzen :/

MindLess said...

@ Nini: Ich werf ja nicht alles weg, aber ich habe auch nicht so viel Platz wie du! ^^

linnea-maria said...

I understand your dilemma completely. My weight goes like a jo-jo so I actually cant throw anything away and I hold my vintage items very dear. I beleive in organizing and selling away things that you know you'll never use :)

Trisha said...

raaaus, mit dem kram ^^ ich finds gut :D
seit ich bei uns an der uni das "Give Box" Regal gefunden habe, stell ich da auch meinen halben haushalt rein ^^. Der rest kommt in Kleiderkreisel.

Es gibt doch im Pulp ab und an mal wieder ein sceneflohmarkt, vielleicht wär das auch was für dich?

MindLess said...

@ linnea-maria: Thank god I'm not much into vintage, otherwise (if I started collecting stuff) I'd need to move into a larger flat...

@ Trisha: Hier ist es üblich, Sachen zum mitnehmen auf den Bürgersteig zu stellen. Es ist auch schon fast alles weg bis auf 3 Tassen! ^^

Der Pulp-Flohmarkt lohnt sich nicht, so viele gothy Sachen will ich nicht loswerden. Und Flohmärkte funktionieren bei mir nur zum kaufen, ich hab da echt schlechte Erfahrungen gemacht!

Wollmaus said...

Wow, ich bin begeistert! Ich hätte nicht gedacht, dass es dich genauso packt wie mich, Sachen loszuwerden.

Für mich ist es wichtig, Ruhe in mein Leben zu bringen. Äußerliche Ruhe, durch Ordnung und Platz, sowie innerliche Ruhe durch das Wissen, kein belastendes Gerümpel mehr zu haben. Wieviel Besitz jedoch belastet und wieviel Sicherheit gibt, ist genauso unterschiedlich wie Menschen unterschiedlich sind. Du willst dich ja weiterhin wohlfühlen!

MindLess said...

@ Wollmaus: Ja, du hast ganz schön Eindruck hinterlassen! ^^

Ich miste auch nicht mehr aus als ich muss. Erstaunlicherweise habe ich bisher nur sehr wenig Klamotten bereut (also ausgemusterte), fast alle davon gruftig...