Wednesday, August 15, 2012

BurdaStyle 9/2012

To my surprise, I had plenty of choice for the top three and really struggled to find three bad designs this issue of BurdaStyle! Hasn't happened in about a year! I'm really happy about this and might buy this issue despite hating to copy the patterns on paper and cutting them out...


As I mentioned above, I had a hard time deciding on my top three. Bronze goes to the smart little shift dress on the right. I like the use of a darker colour on the side panels which has a slimming effect. I also have to say that this pattern is really current since I saw a similar design at Butterícks and Vogue patterns. So Burda, thanks for providing a top notch pattern!
I liked a jacket pattern second best (which should come to no surprise to my regular readers) because it is inspired by men's wear and still looks rather feminine. I like that the designer took inspiration from smokings bit included some waist shaping. Could imagine this pattern for circus goth style with a stripey fabric and red collar!
I didn't really think that Burda could take a new twist on blouses (usually all designing is done by removing or adding different collars or sleeves), so the mustard blouse I liked best, took me by surprise. I like the slight asymmetry in closure and collar. The small bow adds some feminine detail and keeps the look from looking like an accident. The colour is on trend, the blouse looks great - I'd like to add that to my sewing list!

Now to the bad patterns which are not nearly as bad as in the previous issues: I included the skirt on the left because I don't think a pattern is necessary for a rectangle with a elastic sewn on top. This should be easy enough even for the worst beginners...
The pattern on second and first worst is technically the same. I included both version because I had a hard time to find enough bad patterns and I dislike specific details about both versions. The trench coat on the right lacks any waist shaping. Even if you add a belt to the coat, please do at least a little nip in at the waist, otherwise you either have to tie your belt every time you wear the coat or you will look bigger than you are!
This fault is even more obvious on the pattern in the middle where they omitted the belt. No shaping at all! And I dislike coats or jackets without a proper collar. I don't know why, they just look strange to me!

2 comments:

kakuidori said...

hm that 'third best' dress is awesome, im sure it could be used for a lot of different styles!

MindLess said...

@ kakuidori: I think it would look great if you use colour blocking as well...