Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday cake - Bean brownies

Today, I brought some cheat brownies to the meeting with my friends from the Natron und Soda forum. These brownies contain no flour, but beans, so the provide you with a lot of protein instead of useless carbohydrates... They look absolutely normal, I will tell you later if anyone noticed an odd taste!

Edit: I tested them without telling the girls and the only replies I got was that they were delicious and very juicy! I also liked them a lot, but I was a little conservative with the sugar (my fault, I took a little less than mentioned in the recipe!) so they were not as sweet as they could have been...



Recipe from fooducate
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained very well - I used kidney beans, for metric unit users: 425g
3 eggs
3 Tbsp canola oil
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract - I used ground vanilla
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed or ¾ cup white granulated sugar
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided - I used real chocolate and cut it into chunks.

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. - This is ~175°C for my metric friends! ^^
  2. Spray an 8” x 8” baking pan with cooking spray. - I lined it with parchment, but never had troubles using no fat for my pan before
  3. In food processor, process black beans until smooth. - I used my Mulinex, you could also use a normal mixer
  4. Add the eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, and sugar, and process until smooth.
  5. Add ½ of the chocolate chips, and pulse a few times or stir, so that the chips are mixed in. - I melted these instead of using them whole. 30 seconds in the microwave and you are ready to mix them in.
  6. Transfer the batter to the baking pan, and sprinkle the remaining chips on top of the brownies.
  7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.

3 comments:

linnea-maria said...

Ive seen recipes like this only once before, the comments on that blog varyed about the taste. It would be nice if you give us your opinion of it, if it worth to try.

Wollmaus said...

Dafuq?! You tricked me into eating HEALTHY SWEETS?!
Darling, these were amazing. I had the first on my ride home and the second this morning in the office. Yum.

MindLess said...

@linnea-maria: Underneath your question you can see first hand experience...

@wollmaus: Sorry fro tricking you. But I thought I would never get honest opinions if I told you... ^^