Friday, July 27, 2012

Mighty tighty whitey

Once upon a time I bought some white ripped jersey from my favourite Ebay seller in the states. Actually, it was not that long ago in January - my fabric turnover really increases since I try to mainly sew from stash! The point is that since my serger was already threaded with white thread, I decided to work on this fabric before I re-thread it back to black. So I cut a simple shirt and added a little length to wear it comfortably over leggings without promoting my butt to everyone:

This was taken before I cut the boat neck
But somehow the shirt was just "too white". I knew that I would probably never wear this, but I love the fabric a lot. After thinking for a while (and a little burn test which told me that the fabric contains unnatural fibers), I thought I could just use a little bit of watered down black acrylic colour to stain the shirt grey. I experienced in the past that acrylic colours stick pretty nicely to every fabric even after wash (I ruined some pants while painting a frame pink). With all the batik experiments going on in the bloggosphere (see Natron and Soda, both bosses of my favourite sewing forum), this will be my take on that trend....



After a bath in muddy waters ^^ and a little high speed drying on our currently hot attic, this is the final result. Much more wearable, don't you think?!


By the way, the title was inspired by this song (Bloodhound Gang "Mope")...

4 comments:

Wollmaus said...

Orrrr, Acrylfarbe!!! Na toll, das ist mal wieder so zum vor den Kopf klatschen! Genau die Lösung, nach der ich gesucht habe!!

Btw, das Shirt gefällt mir jetzt wesentlich besser als in weiß. Und sehr viel mehr Lene als vorher!

MindLess said...

@ Wollmaus: Oh was willst du denn umfärben? Und danke fürs Kompliment!

kakuidori said...

definitiiv viel besser! und mit acrylfarben rumsauen kann ich auch gut :-/ mistzeug.

MindLess said...

@ kakuidori: Ich hatte es am Wochenende an und mag es sehr... Und Acrylfarben halten immer, egal ob gewollt oder nicht!