Monday, July 16, 2012

BurdaStyle 8/2012

Another month over and in between historical sewing, I spare some time for another Burda Style review! This time I found some interesting patterns, than had the foggy memory that I saw them before in another Burda issue and decided to travel back in the archives. See below what I found...


But first the pretty patterns I would actually sew (if I had time and the matching fabrics...):
It might be because of the historical sewing, because of the light colours in regency style or because I actually bought some H&M blouses in more or less the same cut, but I like the white and lacy blouse on the left a lot. It has some lace details keeping it from being boring, but it could be worn to the office with a tank top underneath - or sewn from a less see through fabric!
When seeing the vintage pattern in this issue, I nearly fell over laughing. I bought almost the exact outfit on a flea market some years ago in an even more girly fabric - pale pink and lilac flowers. The boyfriend hated it and even refused to cuddle if I wore it! Maybe I should resew it in a more gothy fabric and try if he likes this better?
The skirt I like best from this issue looks great and classy. The bow hides a belly and the rushing at the hips looks flattering on many bodies. I could imagine it in another colour as well, either jewel toned or in grey - I remember that someone I know bought a grey pencil skirt with a bow from H&M this year, but who?


Now on to the less desirable patterns of this issue:
While the intention of the jacket on the left is clearly 50s inspired, the wool fabric and the strange embroidery around the arms look just plain wrong to me. The woolen fabric looks rather stiff, the colour looks very hippy and the embroidery takes the focus from the neckline and hips (originally intended) and draws it to the arms, adding visually more width to belly and hips. Great look if you are size S or smaller!
The coat on the right has the wonderful O-silhouette that Burda praises to make you look smaller. Doesn't work for me, even on the hanger (see above picture) or on the model (see the issue itself) the coat adds a good 20 kg...
And what about the inverted collar? Do you think this looks like a quirky and fashionable design? For me it only looks as if you didn't read the instructions properly and mixed up the sewing direction...

 
And now to my way down Burda past alley... Take the skirt with the bow, remove said bow and you have the twisty hemline from a Burda issue 5 months ago. Take the matching jacket from this issue, shorten the hemline and you have just made the same pattern that was already in the last issue of  2011. The coat is not only ugly, but was already shown in September 2011, although the added some sleeves and made the collar a wee bit smaller. And this issue's pants that could also be pyjamas were published also 3 measly months ago. Great!

I don't have a problem with pattern recycling. I understand that there are only so many ways to design a coat or trousers. But recently the whole cycle of reproducing patterns has become much faster! While in the past, Burda issues from one year more or less repeated every year, now I see a trend that the patterns repeat every 6 months. Is it only me? Maybe Burda should invest in some new designers again?

3 comments:

Trisha said...

Evi had that skirt :] I was totally jelous and now I can male my own.. yay :D

DAFUQ @pattern recycling! ich finds immer schon so nervig, dass sie den gleichen schnitt, nur ganz wenig verändert in der gleichen Ausgabe als was völlig anderes verkauft haben... aber das ist echt langsam dreist o.O

MindLess said...

@Trisha: Ja genauu, die Evi wars! Und das mit dem Schnittmuster immer wieder wiederholen nervt mich auch. Also wäre man in einer Burda-Zeitschleife gefangen...

Wollmaus said...

Naja, mit der Schnittwiederholung zeigen sie uns zumindestens die unterschiedlichen Verwendungsmöglichkeiten und Wandelbarkeit der Schnitte. Wenn man es seeeehr optimistisch betrachtet.