Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Medieval times

In October I will attend a medieval marriage together with the boyfriend. Only problem is, neither He nor I have anything medieval to wear (I had an extensive wardrobe that would fit, but I threw it out when I didn't wear medieval inspired clothes for 2 years in a row). So I'm happily sewing more stuff for him and me!
 Right from the beginning he said he will not wear tight pants, which reduced the options from 1000 possible years of fashion to about 300-500 years of the early medieval times. A short internet search gave me some inspiration and I decided to make the following:
  1. Underdress for me, plain cotton
  2. Overdress fro me, either wool or linen looking cotton (check the stash first!)
  3. A cotton wrap for my head (necessary if I plan to look anything medieval)
  4. Maybe an apron? But that would have to be decorated and should be left for last minute if I have time left
  5. A tunic for the boyfriend, also plain cotton
  6. Rus-pants (tight at the calves, wide above knee), wool
  7. A drape coat, wool
  8. and buy the shoes because I never made any and the only ones I can imagine to make may not be suitable for colder weather!
Today I will show you my under dress. It's made from Bomull (pure cotton weave from Ikea) and I used a little bit more than 2m. I had no pattern, but since medieval is not very form fitting and I sewed several of theses things in the past, it worked out fine!




It is by no means historical correct (cotton, machine sewn, serged), but captures the look pretty good. Let's call it historically inspired, right? ^^

6 comments:

Wollmaus said...

Ich verstehe eh nicht, was dieses ganze "A"-Gedöns soll, wenn man nicht gerade Re-enactment als Hobby pflegt. Für ambientige Kleidung auf einem Mittelaltermarkt oder einer mittelalterlich inspirierten Hochzeit braucht man doch nicht alles von Hand nähen! Und solange man bei der Stoffwahl von offensichtlichem Polytier und -bewahre!- Pannesamt absieht, kann man doch nichts falschmachen.
Als Schuhe finde ich Espandrillos gut, die kann man gut mit Wollsocken tragen, wenn es kalt ist. Oder Holzclogs...kantapper, kantapper!

MindLess said...

Ja, entweder Holzschuhe oder diese hier:

http://www.historische-schuhe.de/epages/61580448.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61580448/Products/KM-Kunigunde/SubProducts/KM-Kunigunde-G37

ette said...

Oh, schön, Mittelalter von der Pike auf, da bleib ich mal hocken (tu ich ja sowieso, aber egal^^)
Zu der A-Sache: Ich finde auch, dass A nur bei richtigem Re-Enactment wichtig ist und dass sonst ein irgendwie-passend-Aussehen reicht (und Pannésamt gehört nicht dazu, stimmt schon). Kommt aber auch immer drauf an, worin man sich selbst wohlfühlt. Obwohl mein Kleid aus Leinen ist und nicht so richtig un-A-aussieht (der Schnitt ist sogar historisch) fühle ich mich damit nie so ganz wohl, weil die von mir damals ziemlich murksig gefertigten Maschinennähte mich selber total stören, anderen werden sie wohl gar nicht auffallen. Das ist dann auch der Grund, weshalb ich mich noch nicht zu einem Kleid des 18. Jh. durchringen konnte, ich weiss einfach, dass ich es nicht authentisch fertigen kann und dass ich an meinen eigenen Ansprüchen scheitern werde. Kommt also nicht nur auf den Anlass an, sondern auch, was man selber möchte, selbst wenn man kein aktiver Re-Enactor ist.

linnea-maria said...

It will be so nice and interesting to follow the procedure of making another outfit. The bag I bought from restyle have a perfect size. It's big but not too big. I can easily put my jacket an umbrella, phone, wallet etc in it and it has two pockets on the side for sunglasses of a bottle of water. I recommend it! Wishing you a happy solstice! /Therese

Lady Bethezda @ Bethezdas Preoccupations said...

How fun! My sister has a renaissance wedding and it was so fun.
Looks like you've got it covered in the sewing department. :)

MindLess said...

Thanks for the compliments! I'm really looking forward to this wedding, it will be a lot of fun!