Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Burdastyle 6/2012

Oh Burda, what are you doing to me? How can you be so nice one month and so horrible the next? This time I had a rather hard time deciding on my worst three, there were so many options... Checking my pics I also realised that I will have to change the Olympic medal I include in my graphics soon since this year there will be another Olympic games! Hope the design is nice, though...



Even the good patterns don't wow me this time. The dress on third place looks good, but I sense an issue with the neckline and would integrate a small band to avoid showing your goods to an unpaying audience. It looks pretty comfy though, like something you could throw over on the way to the beach!
The second best pattern in my eyes is the wrap blouse from the plus size "Out of Africa" series. I know, I usually don't include plus size, but what should I do if one third of this issue consists of very "Mummy made this dress for you honey and I've got a matching one" creations? The pattern seems to have a higher neckline than usual, were Burda designers seem to think that a wrap blouse automatically means that you want to show your chest to anyone on the street. And for wrap dress friends, this pattern also comes in a longer version...
I hope no one is surprised by me liking a jacket pattern best? I especially adore the side buttons and the open hemline. Looks a bit vest inspired to me.


On to my small selection of worse patterns. Not small because I didn't find enough though but rather because I limit myself to three patterns each. Honorable mention here goes to the "Mama sews with patchwork fabric" series in this issue...
I do think that a plain white shirt is a staple for every wardrobe. I might agree that a sleeveless jeans shirt is a staple in a redneck wardrobe, going hand in hand with very tight jeans or too short shorts. But please, sewers all over the world, don't try to recreate redneck fashion. Even in another fabric or colour, sleeveless shirts belong to the 80s. Let them rest in peace!
The same is true for fake (!) leather vests with fringe. If you want to play cowboy and native again, do as you wish. You might even use this pattern for Halloween. But if you do, please decide to use a better looking (p)leather than Burda, okay?
I don't know what I find more horrifying on the parka which I chose for worst pattern of this issue. The pattern which makes everyone look frumpy and small? The 80s inspiration? The white fabric with golden pearl shine? Or the fact that my deceased grandma had exactly the same coat which she bought in the late 70s? *shudder*

4 comments:

Wollmaus said...

Ich liebe deine Burdareviews. Und ich bin erstaunt, dass du tatsächlich DREI gute Sachen entdeckt hast, mir gefiel auf den ersten Blick nämlich wirklich nur die Jacke, die steht schon auf meiner Nähliste.

Neise||a said...

Schön dass wir einer Meinung sind. Die neue burda geht gar nicht! *würg*

Wird wohl wieder ne harte Nuss, da was gescheites zu finden... T_T

MindLess said...

Eigentlich hätte ich noch 3-5 weitere Hässlichkeiten nominieren können. Und ich freue mich schon, was ihr aus dieser Ausgabe zaubert!

kakuidori said...

duuu fiesling duuuu fiesling! ich hab wieder dieses lied als ohrwurm was du mal gepostet hattest (the mysterious ticking noise) und warum? weil blogger als sicherheitswort von mir folgendes wollte: 'snape offecren' nur stellt sich mir die frage was offecren zu bedeuten hat o.O?