Monday, March 12, 2012

WGT - Quoth the raven - hat 1 (bird skull tutorial)

I turn more and more into a modiste for WGT ^^. For the raven outfit I planned a hat with a raven skull on it. Searching Etsy, I found a lot of them, but

i) I don't want the real deal, wearing a dead animal on my head is creeping me out a bit!
ii) The fake ones are quite expensive, I have to pay customs in addition to the article and shipping
iii) I was not really sure about size and quality

So, as the good DIY girl I am, I got some air dry clay and started making one myself. After some trying out, I decided to go for approximately 15cm length and proportionately 5-6cm width.  I found a tutorial on the internet were they showed how to stabilize larger skulls and how to make the construction a bit lighter. Here is how I did it:

Starting out with some aluminium foil, a binder, air dry clay and tape.

I wrapped 3 binders with tape for stability

Add a ball of crushed aluminium foil

And tape together. The clay sticks better to tape than foil, so I used a lot of tape!

Approximate first steps adding the clay



Working closer to my draft/ sketch from the allmighty interwebs


Finished skull!
After drying, I added some watered down golden and black paint for structure:



7 comments:

Zebrafinki said...

HA! Das ist ja mal toll! :)
Am Anfang Deines Eintrags hab ich noch gedacht: Waaas hat sie jetzt mit dem Lolli vor und was hat das mit nem ravenscull zu tun?! *tihi*
Aber er ist wirklich klasse geworden! *thumbs up*

linnea-maria said...

Oh you clever girl!!! Your outfits will be amazing! Oh thanks for your compliments so sweet of you. Actually I think I'm a lousy photografer and my camera sucks. But I use to lend my boyfriends professional camera sometimes. Yes I dye my hair even now and then. I have bought a milder hair dye now and discovered that I don't drop that much hair after dyeing. But it's still to thin. I have used henna and consider to change to that. I love the henna red colour.

kakuidori said...

was nen süßes diy! ist dir super gelungen!!

kakuidori said...

ich hoff ich bin net die 10. die damit ankommt: http://kakuidori.blogspot.com/2012/03/201211tue-one-lovely-blog-award.html

Frizzi said...

Oh, das ist ein toller Schädel geworden. Vielen Dank für die Anleitung, ich liebe es ja, wenn man auch gesagt bekommt, wie man tolle Sachen nachmachen kann - auch wenn es bei mir vermutlich kein Rabenschädel werden wird.

Wollmaus said...

Ist. Das. Cool.
Ich freue mich schon auf den fertigen Hut!

MindLess said...

Ich finde zwar mittlerweile, dass mein Rabe eher ein Kolibri ist (vermutlich der dickste und größte Kolibri der Welt), aber das Herstellen ist echt einfach!

Und theoretisch würde es auch ohne Unterbau gehen, so wird der Schädel nur viel leichter. Man kann natürlich alles draus machen, ein Drachenschädel oder eine Skeletthand fände ich auch sehr gut!