Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Monthly theme post -rings

Recently, I stumbled upon a very interesting blog  and said blog has a monthly topic which invites its readers to write about: I will participate in this month's theme post about rings.
Currently I've been getting more in touch with my dark side again - sorry daddy. It might be quite obvious from the stuff I sewed (and planned for WGT, the Mecca for all German goths), but it's much slower/low key in real life. I still have red hair instead of black, but those who know me have seen me with pink, purple, teal... Red is a compromise with work and play.

Even during my darkest days, I was never quite keen on jewelry. I do wear earrings, but only since 4-5 years. I almost never wear necklaces because I don't like feeling restricted around my neck. Rings are really pretty - I do have some of them at home in my precious box - but when wearing latex gloves for work prove to be problematic.

Like most goths, I only wear silver/silver toned jewelry. Most of you probably experienced green discolouration of ring and/or skin after wearing cheaper rings. This results from water in minerals in your sweat interacting with cheaper metals in your rings. Mixing in cheaper metals is necessary as silver alone is actually rather weak and soft and will be scratched and deformed by wear.
If you wear latex gloves for an extended period of time (and it's not a good idea not to wear them or take them off during experiments), you create a wonderful wet and warm climate around your rings which increases staining a lot. Therefore I often have to test rings before wearing them to work or try to get rid of the stains after wearing them. In doubt I just get rid of them, so my collection is small.

You can imagine how annoying this is, which means more often than not that I won't wear any rings during the 5-6 days a week I'm working. I try to integrate rings into my party outfits more, but this takes a conscious effort from my part. I was really good last week where I wore 3 rings - silver with mother of pearl, silver with hematite and an old engagement ring from my granny.



Some of the rings I have represent a memory - like the engagement ring above- or an experience. This ring with tiny sapphires was bought when I was traveling to Thailand with my father. Whenever I wear it, it revokes pictures from the trip in my mind.


Other rings are linked to people: This rings looks faded since a childhood friend sunk it into his aquarium and refused to hand it back to me for the whole weekend! This cleaned the aluminium ring from the dark colour in between the pattern.


One ring will always remind me of how naive I can be: I have this "ring of o" which I bought during my babybat days when I was around 14-15 years old. I still remember that the seller was quite nice and interested in my personal life, asking a lot of questions. Little did I know about the meaning of this ring, which is why I don't wear it any longer...

Do you have rings with a meaning? Or do you wear them for fashion only?

8 comments:

linnea-maria said...

I understand why you dont wear the last ring after the information you got about it. The other are just adorable. Good to find a new blog. I'm also interested in sewing and diy projects.

kakuidori said...

haha lol, i have bought one of those 'ring of o' before i knew what it was, too!

Raphael said...

The second last ring is very beautiful, I really like its pattern. And aww, too bad the ring of O is a bit suspicious in a way. :D It's a stylish piece after all, yet I wouldn't wear one probably for the same reason as you.

MindLess said...

@ linnea-maria: Thanks for the compliment! I admire that you write your post in swedish and english, that would be way too much work for me!

@ kakuidori: I'm happy I'm not the only one! ^^ I still like the design of the ring, but I don't want to ewoke false hopes in others...

@ Raphael: Thank you for liking my ring! The pattern is a bit floral and somehow greek, I still keep the ring although it looks rather worn.

Jamie said...

All of these are pretty, and I love that you have memories and a story for each one. The O-ring is lovely, but I don't blame you for not wearing it!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Thank you for visiting my blog, and for joining in this month's theme! Your collection is lovely, and that last one made me giggle. :)

I love that you bought a ring to commemorate your trip to Thailand with your father. My dad and I went to Ireland once, and I have a ring he bought me there that gives me the same wonderful memories. Thank you for the explanation on why some rings can discolor skin - I never knew why that happened!

MindLess said...

@ Jamie: Sometimes I wish I never found ou about the meaning, so I could still wear the ring...

@ Victorian kitty: Thanks for inventing the monthly theme post and visitng my blog! In Ireland I bought some earrings which always remind me of the good times there. Jewelry makes the perfect holiday memory pieces as you can wear it, it's pretty and not collecting dust!

akumaxkami said...

Those are beautiful rings. I especially love the second one!